Side mirror motor replacement - has anyone done this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The driver’s side mirror in my 2008 Land Cruiser does not fold in/out when the dash switch is actuated. Passenger side works as it should.

I just completed the TSB bolt replacement on both sides to prevent the mirror wobble at highway speeds.

While I had the three bolts removed on driver’s side mirror, I pressed the mirror fold switch on the dash. I can faintly hear the motor inside the mirror click and hum briefly, but the cast aluminum base (where the three replace bolts thread into) inside the mirror does not budge:
31C4F47C-B370-4B84-A51E-A9BBDB7FA0A4.jpeg

My thought is that the mirror folding motor is kaput. The replacement assembly seems to be the only option I’ve found online ($$$), as I have not been able to locate the part number of the motor. I’m trying to avoid purchasing the whole unit.

A couple questions:

1) Is there a part number for the motor itself?

2) Has anyone disassembled a 200-series side mirror? I’d like to inspect the internals more thoroughly, but I cannot figure out how to separate the outside cover and lower portions from the assembly. I do not want to force it and break a fragile plastic tab, etc. I removed this screw and inserted a small, hooked pick in the hole (drainage hole?) to the left of the screw (on the lower part of the assembly) but wasn’t able to pry the two pieces apart:
AD3C8259-4DE6-46C0-A046-742FF89B483B.jpeg
D2917768-2D22-4C91-BA86-95B08A6132E7.jpeg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The driver’s side mirror in my 2008 Land Cruiser does not fold in/out when the dash switch is actuated. Passenger side works as it should.

I just completed the TSB bolt replacement on both sides to prevent the mirror wobble at highway speeds.

While I had the three bolts removed on driver’s side mirror, I pressed the mirror fold switch on the dash. I can faintly hear the motor inside the mirror click and hum briefly, but the cast aluminum base (where the three replace bolts thread into) inside the mirror does not budge:View attachment 1795681

My thought is that the mirror folding motor is kaput. The replacement assembly seems to be the only option I’ve found online ($$$), as I have not been able to locate the part number of the motor. I’m trying to avoid purchasing the whole unit.

A couple questions:

1) Is there a part number for the motor itself?

2) Has anyone disassembled a 200-series side mirror? I’d like to inspect the internals more thoroughly, but I cannot figure out how to separate the outside cover and lower portions from the assembly. I do not want to force it and break a fragile plastic tab, etc. I removed this screw and inserted a small, hooked pick in the hole (drainage hole?) to the left of the screw (on the lower part of the assembly) but wasn’t able to pry the two pieces apart:
View attachment 1795679 View attachment 1795680

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

$144

8790860B40

MIRROR | LAND CRUISER URJ200 URJ200L-GNTEKA | Toyota | Genuine Parts Catalogs | PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

my LX has one mirror dead as well. for as much labour and cost as it is I just left it...

my LX has one mirror dead as well. for as much labour and cost as it is I just left it...

I don’t think the motor will be a difficult replacement once the mirror assembly is removed and disassembled.

It’s low on the priority list at the moment - as my parking needs do not require my mirrors to be folded. One day I’ll tackle this.

Thanks for the part number @TonyP

I don’t think the motor will be a difficult replacement once the mirror assembly is removed and disassembled.

It’s low on the priority list at the moment - as my parking needs do not require my mirrors to be folded. One day I’ll tackle this.

Thanks for the part number @TonyP

Word.

Just verify before you order. I assumed, off of the diagram, that's what you needed. Looks like that's it though.

Word.

Just verify before you order. I assumed, off of the diagram, that's what you needed. Looks like that's it though.

Yeah, I think so. I’ll verify with the parts guy I trust at my local T dealership.

Any word if the LX is the same part? Looking for a thread to describe removal/repair if the is one.

adding to an old thread.

2011 lc200 - driver mirror stopped retracting in. Motor would run at vehicle start up for 30 sec, but no movement.

Yota Pros in Tempe, AZ first replaced the motor. That didn’t fix it.

Then they replaced the retractor. That did the trick, at least in my case.

Parts and labor for the retractor far less expensive than buying a whole new side mirror. Now it’s good as new.

I recently replaced the retractor on my LX driver's side mirror. (87966-60C20). I did not have the "mirror wobble" but the whole assembly would fold by itself at highway speeds, particularly when I used my towing mirrors. The whole assembly was loose and never really snapped into the open position. It would not fold with the mirror folding switch either.

Easy fix and I followed this video which shows how to disassemble the mirror including removing the covers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom