Side mirror left/right up/down adjustment fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, so my mirrors were not working with the left right adjustment. Up down worked ok but definitely needed some attention. Not sure if this has been covered on here already but I fixed my issue today and thought someone could use the tips of they have the same problems. 04 LX, power mirrors/reverse adjustment/heated mirrors. First step I found was to remove the door panel. When you remove the drivers side, there is a mirror computer, yellow, mounted there. If you put the mirror in left and try to adjust the mirror side to side and get a click but no movement, move on to step 2. That’s what I got. Brain was clicking but no movement in the mirror. Next step remove the mirror off the car. I found th is to be the easiest way to get the glass off. Apparently you can remove the glass on the car but super hard in my experience to see where you are jamming the screw driver. There is a TSB on here about how to remove the glass. Basically you have to push the glass top/inside to show the bottom section inside, you need to get a long thin screw driver in between the white and black plastic and twist the screw driver to release the bottom glass. The top part just has little slide in holders. The TSB has better pictures. I didn’t take any cause you really couldn’t see. When you get the glass off. You remove the center screw holding on the white circle part. Then the 3 screws to expose the gears inside the mirror. There are 2 small clips on the side of the black housing to get inside the gears. With the top housing off you can test your gears. Plug the mirror in and hit all directions and see if your motors work. Mine did all directions, no problems. The problem I found is that the gear sat too snug inside that top housing. So my solution was to shave down the gear just where it sits in the housing. You can feel how snug it was before be after shaving. I used a dremel and carefully shaved an even amount off all around until it spun nicely. You can put the top of the housing back on with the snaps and test to make sure you shaved enough off before assembling the whole thing. Make sure everything skins freely with the housing snapped back on. When it does go ahead and reassemble everything. I added grease to the gears and parts that spin. There was some factory grease in there but not much. Seems to help the lubrication. See the pics below of what I’m taking about. Hope this helps someone else.

54FD49AB-88CA-4898-8ACB-788899CC1E32.jpeg

03B58C49-EB99-4BF5-9D04-86C290AE4C18.jpeg

01591926-FADB-4D57-9B35-E59639464AEE.jpeg

ABF429CA-51EC-42E0-ABD0-EEB060246B6B.jpeg

I might need this soon

Since it worked for many years prior do you think it's possible that adding more lubricant would be enough to help with the seizing up issue? I have one axis that doesn't reliably work on mine and may need to have a look.

Since it worked for many years prior do you think it's possible that adding more lubricant would be enough to help with the seizing up issue? I have one axis that doesn't reliably work on mine and may need to have a look.
No. It’s not a lubricant issue although it helps I’m sure once the gear is shaved down. I thibk that the gear swelled over year the years or the housing did but the left/right axis gear is much tighter in the top cover housing and doesn’t allow it to spin freely. You can tell if you take the gears out and the top cover off and push them in and spin them, mine had much more resistance in left/right then up/down gear. Shaving it certainly worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom