Shop Recommendations in Raleigh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This might be an unusual request, but seeing how resourceful this group is I am sure someone here can point me in the right direction.

A couple of weeks ago I bought another boat to restore, but the trailer with the boat has never been titled. So long story short, I have to get the trailer stamped with a new serial number to get it titled and registered. Thought I could stamp it myself, but apparently my 4lbs hammer is not enough to stamp the steel and I don't feel confident in swinging a larger hammer without breaking my hand as I hold the stamp itself.

So this morning I have been calling around to various trailer shops to see if they would be willing and able to do this and as expected almost everyone has said no. I have found one business, but they want 100 bucks to do it (50 bucks each stamp). Does anyone know of a metal fab shop that does this kind of thing? The NC Inspector is adamant the stamp must really be in there and not look homemade, so that is why I stopped trying after seeing my results.

I am open to any ideas or suggestions. Thanks guys.

Subbing. In a similar spot with mine...

$100 to do it doesn't sound bad if it's that difficult. Why aren't you using the place you found already?

Sorry, no recommendations.

$100 to do it doesn't sound bad if it's that difficult. Why aren't you using the place you found already?

Sorry, no recommendations.

Just thought the price was high because from what the inspectors told me it should be 10 bucks a stamp as its relative simple to do with the proper equipment. The only difficult part is stamping the axle as you have to go under the boat to do so. If I am not able to find any other shops to do it, I guess I will go with the 100 dollar quote. Just didn't know if there were other options out there and thought it would be best to reach out to the most informed group I know when it comes to things of this variety.

Makes sense, I just didn't have a cost reference.

Do you have the stamps and need to hammer them into the frame or do you need a place that has stamps?

I have standard 3/8 letter and number stamps, but have little experience stamping steel. So when I went to stamp it yesterday it looked liked s__t. I know the inspectors stressed the point that if its self stamped that it has to be deep and clear. They essentially were strongly suggesting that I take it somewhere to have it done since they often reject "homemade" stamps.

Just drill some holes in a block of wood big enough to hold a stamps in a straight line so they stick out a little bit lay or strap it on the trailer where you want the serial number then get your Sledgehammer out and give it one hell of a swing

That's a hell of an idea! I think the would work on the neck, but the axle could be another story as the axle is so small. The wood would never stay put on it, but then again it might not be nearly as strong as the steel frame. I might have to give this a try. :cheers:

Sinch it with a racket strap. Leave some wood on either side of the holes to strap it to the axle.

Spit balling here... How about applying some heat to the steel, quickly transfer to your stamp and give it a good whack with your hammer.

Eric’s idea sounds like a solid plan, save fingers for sure.

When I did my homebuilt trailer, the inspector accepted my sheetmetal plate I stamped on the bench then welded it to the frame. I had some 14g steel, made a simple plate, stamped it on the bench, punched some holes and welded it to the frame. Since I used round tube for the frame, it was very difficult to get a clear stamping also. Can’t promise your guy will accept this method, worked for me on my trailer inspection.

Eric’s idea sounds like a solid plan, save fingers for sure.

When I did my homebuilt trailer, the inspector accepted my sheetmetal plate I stamped on the bench then welded it to the frame. I had some 14g steel, made a simple plate, stamped it on the bench, punched some holes and welded it to the frame. Since I used round tube for the frame, it was very difficult to get a clear stamping also. Can’t promise your guy will accept this method, worked for me on my trailer inspection.

Thats actually what I wanted to do, but have been unable to find a place that either can or is willing to do it. It would be much cleaner IMO. As of right now I think Eric's idea is best. I will call around a bit more tomorrow, but if I cannot find a bettter option I will give Eric's idea a try.

if you have the punches bring it over ill help you. i have a more refined idea, but i'm a lazy typer.

shouldn't take more then 30 minutes to do the frame and axle.

I ran into this once. I went to a trophy shop and had it engraved on a piece of tin and then riveted it to the frame. It worked. Although I seem to remember it costing more than I thought it should have.

if you have the punches bring it over ill help you. i have a more refined idea, but i'm a lazy typer.

shouldn't take more then 30 minutes to do the frame and axle.

Thank you Eric, I greatly appreciate the offer and might take you up on it. Someone suggested a place that can do it for 30 bucks that is about 15 min down the road from me. I am waiting to hear back from them, but if they can do it for that price I will just take it to them so I don't take up any of your time. I will follow up later in the week once I get a chance to actually do something about this. Thanks again.

No worries, the offer is there if you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom