Shocks or springrate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BlueCruiser84

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello,

I recently did an SAS on my 1989 4runner and kept it pretty low. I used RUFs, Allpro rear springs (3” I think), and new 5100 shocks. Rear shocks are mounted factory style, not in a /\ formation.

I rode around all summer with a soft top or no top and the thing drives really well. It’s soft, but feels planted. Not sure a tall, skinny, 30+ yr old vehicle built for off-road can be expected to perform much better on-road.

Now that I’ve put the hardtop on and put a little weight in the back it is VERY soft. Bridge abutments or RR crossings are fine - really smooth. It’s the uneven pavement you get on tertiary roads that are “uncomfortable”. Going straight at 35-45 mph (posted speed limit) nets a very unstable feel - rocking, swaying, kinda like a boat in choppy water. It corners great at “all” speeds.

My question is do I address this by tweaking the spring rate or adding stiffer shocks? Or neither? Is a swaybar the answer? I’m not an overlander, but I put a spare and some tools in the back when I go wheeling.

I’ve not had much experience tweaking leaf springs trucks. I’d like to get started in the right direction. Again, I know what I drive - I’m not expecting a sports car, but the gentle sway shouldn’t be this noticeable (I think…?).

As you can see, it’s not tall as SAS trucks go.
image.jpg

if the weight is causing it, id say probably the spring rate. keep in mind the springs are typically built for a truck. what does your shackle angle look like?

that being said, i run old MC 56" springs (AP/TG/MC/BETTS) on mine and have abused them. i don't feel sketchy. the spring rate is definitely too low for lots of cargo.

Rear shackle angle with the top on is about 45* maybe a little more. Top off is about 60*.

I’ve got lots of leaves sitting around if I need to add one, but I may try stiffer shocks first. I can swap the current shocks onto my pickup.

It’s definitely added weight that’s making the sway noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom