Shocks and lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, so I'm thinking about putting the OME lift on, but am trying to make a decision on the shocks. After reading through some of the search material this is what I think I know:

1) The OME shocks are stiffer than stock, but not as stiff as some might like
2) The life expectancy of the OME shocks is not stellar (at least compared to OE)
3) Neither the Bilstein nor the Koni are offered for a lifted 100
4) There aren't really any other options???

A lot of the material on this appears to be from '04 and early '05...can anybody update me/set me straight? Just street driving and light to moderate trails. TIA.

Iam in the same road you are ..

Im sure you will want to rework the upper shock mount to make every thing easy ..

6 travel front

10 travel rear

all the best

What's the main reason for doing the lift?

Expo long-range travel
Mild 4-wheeling
Difficult 4-wheeling
Looks
On-road

Other?

Poser rig (mild four wheeling). Don't like the way the 285's look with the Cruiser sitting right on top of them. I don't NEED the lift, I just want it.

ATLcrusher said:
Poser rig (mild four wheeling). Don't like the way the 285's look with the Cruiser sitting right on top of them. I don't NEED the lift, I just want it.

I'd suggest all OME. Tried and reliable. (Though there's always stories about any product.)

OME865 springs with OME T-bars and OME shocks. Slee diff-drop. Easy install, fantastic on-road ride! 285x75-16 tires.

A step-by-step is here: http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/Vehicle Specs and Modifications/117861

Top of the page is more recent mods....they're crono positioned.

Pic with lift and 285's:

45454453-M.jpg

ShottsUZJ100 said:
I'd suggest all OME. Tried and reliable. (Though there's always stories about any product.)

OME865 springs with OME T-bars and OME shocks. Slee diff-drop. Easy install, fantastic on-road ride! 285x75-16 tires.

John - I've checked out your website (before), and that's about the look I'm going for. What do you have to say about the longevity of the OME shocks (that's my main hesitation with them)?

Oh, do I really need the diff drop?

ATLcrusher said:
John - I've checked out your website (before), and that's about the look I'm going for. What do you have to say about the longevity of the OME shocks (that's my main hesitation with them)?

Oh, do I really need the diff drop?

I ME SHOTTS has had excellent luck with them. I know others slam them. I had...hmmm....50K on my rears when I added my Slee bumper. When I added the bumper I added new shocks just in case (same ones). No difference.

The original front shocks were too soft. When they came out with the N133 it was a NICE improvement. N133 is the stadard one now. I luv my setup. No complaints.

One last thing...IF you want a little more lift, I'd set the front T-bars at 2.5" above stock AND add 1 10mm trim pack to each rear spring top. Diff drop for sure it this height.

Diff drop should be done at any height though it's not a 100% do at only 2".

John, I thought you are using some super OME shock set-up on the rear?

DMX84 said:
John, I thought you are using some super OME shock set-up on the rear?

Sure am... luv it...off-road I can't tell it from my 80's (well BARELY)...BUT, ATLcrusher wants to build for looks and mild off-roading. He'd not want tall and heavy 863 springs. My setup MIGHT...MIGHT...MIGHT...work with 865's AND an attached spacer for a smoother ride though the rear end would be higher than the front. :confused:

EL_3grab said:
hoe about the OME LTR Shocks for the LC100

the LTR shocks are the same length as the standard ones but offer the remote res.

Shotts is using the superior 80-series N-74L shocks in the rear of his articulation monster :rolleyes:

Also a fair percentage of us with older LCs have had leaky CV Boot issues sometime after the lift (even with the diff drop kit)...not a huge problem but just something to be aware of after you lift.

The OME shocks have work very nicely for me. I really like the fact when driving over gravel/dirt/washboard all wheels are in contact. Much stiffer and for my type of use it will not be as controlled. Also the OME shocks are considerably less expensive than Konis. Even if Koni made 'em to fit with lift I don't think I could swing the $1,000+ just for Koni shocks...don't get me wrong Koni builds a qual product...it is just out of my budget for shocks.

OME is your best bang for your bucks...order the 'kit' from Christo (sleeoffroad) and save a couple bucks.

The life expectancy of OME shocks is longer than original equipment for sure. There is no doubt they are better than the OE shocks.

There are few bolt in options and I lack the funds to do anything better right now.

Koni actually makes shocks for +50mm (Raid series), but they are hard to get even in Europe and they cost 1000 EUR/set.
But then again - according to the measurements posted on this forum, I would gain only 30mm lift on the rear if I would replace my stock springs with OME865, and arround 50mm in the front if I would use OME T-bars.
I plan to only replace rear springs, crank the front up for 30mm and use stock lenght Koni shocks.

Regards

Samo

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Pic with lift and 285's:

Drool, drool. Mr. UPS delivered my diff drop yesterday. Just waiting on the T-bars.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Sure am... luv it...off-road I can't tell it from my 80's (well BARELY)...BUT, ATLcrusher wants to build for looks and mild off-roading. He'd not want tall and heavy 863 springs. My setup MIGHT...MIGHT...MIGHT...work with 865's AND an attached spacer for a smoother ride though the rear end would be higher than the front. :confused:

So, these won’t work on my setup? Damit! :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom