shipping three fj80's in 40 ft hi cube container (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody ever been able to ship three fj80's in a 40ft high cube container? if so how did you do it? any pics?

I have shipped two in one 40 ft container and had 10 ft left over...thought it was a waste to not to be able to ship more vehicles (and save money per unit) in a container.

Sept26-005.jpg

Sept26-004.jpg

Sept26-003.jpg

In this configuration I was able to put one FJ62+trailer and one FJ80 into a single 40ft high cube container

Last edited:
Only if you cut the third one in pieces. What is the container dimension?

We tried fitting two 80s and a SWB 70 in a 40' container and they didn't fit, not with bumper swingout and bullbars. Stock, they *might*, but it's going to be pretty tight in there!

If its forty feet high (I got that impression for the title line) would it be too much trouble to make it a double decker type deal. Then you could maybe do four. It would take lots of fab work but it sounds doable. Now, you will probably come back saying its not forty feet tall and long, just forty feet long. If so...I withdraw all the former nonsense.

A high cube is 39´06" long 7´08" wide 8´10" high inside. weight capacity is over 50K pounds so not problem there,

What kind of fabrication do you have available at the loading port? could you make ranps to put them in at an angle? that may net enough to get the third in, removign springs hoods and fenders may net soem more room also

but considering the cost complication and labor probably your best bet is to find someone who wants to ship something to the same place that will fit in the remaining space, that will recover some of your shipping costs.

If its forty feet high (I got that impression for the title line) would it be too much trouble to make it a double decker type deal. Then you could maybe do four. It would take lots of fab work but it sounds doable. Now, you will probably come back saying its not forty feet tall and long, just forty feet long. If so...I withdraw all the former nonsense.

I doubt it can be 20' high. The standard shipping container should be about 10' high about the same width and either 20' long or 40' long. To do an inside double decker you would have to reduce the height of the car to less than five feet. Not so difficult with race cars but a real job with off roaders.

Some very precise measuring might help. Don't forget to give space for the driver to get in and out of the cars. You'll also need space for the stabilizing straps. I have thoughts of really small wheels as a possibility. However the chances are slim. You would have to remove near 20" of height from the car, more if possible, otherwise there might be a need for a long run up and run down ramp.

There's a chance if you remove the springs and use very small wheels, but that's a lot of work.

Kalawang

standard container is only 7′ 10" inside,a high cube is a foot taller at 8' 10", no normal container is 10'

split in half is 3' 11" standard, 4' 5" high cube, that is before you take out vertical height for the split, no way,

Containerization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anybody ever been able to ship three fj80's in a 40ft high cube container? if so how did you do it? any pics?

I have shipped two in one 40 ft container and had 10 ft left over...thought it was a waste to not to be able to ship more vehicles (and save money per unit) in a container.

I don't think the shipper company insurance would like it very much.

How about a 45 footer?

standard container is only 7′ 10" inside,a high cube is a foot taller at 8' 10", no normal container is 10'

split in half is 3' 11" standard, 4' 5" high cube, that is before you take out vertical height for the split, no way,

Containerization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the precise information RavenTai. I worked with those things for a couple of years but never thought to measure them.

Kalawang

Not gonna happen. Stock 80 is approximately 190 inches (1996 Toyota Land Cruiser specs, auto safety at Edmunds), or 15.83 ft. A 45HC is 45 feet long. You're gonna come up 2.5ft short. Forget about modifying the container unless you want to buy it, even then, insurance would be a different matter.

Ramp them with hood high. I'm not sure if you'd gain the 6 feet you need in a 40' but you probably could make a 45' work that way, if a 45' container exists.

I believe if I hang the front end of each FJ80 with the wheels removed I can fit three in a 45ft high cube

wondering, are the tiedowns good enough for vehicles in most of these containers?

(wouldn't removing the bumpers save close to 1-2' for each truck?)

We blocked each wheel and chained the axles to the floor. These containers encounter rough weather and anything not "nailed" down will get damaged.

question: have you ever seen where they remove the front wheels and lift the vehicle up toward the roof and then attach the front axles (with chains) to the hangers that are welded in the roof corners of all containers?

wondering, are the tiedowns good enough for vehicles in most of these containers?

(wouldn't removing the bumpers save close to 1-2' for each truck?)

You need to get someone with a CAD program to draw a reasonably accurate 2D Cruiser profile. See how/if you can make three of them fit into a 39x9 rectangle.

maybe 1-2". Rear is part of crossmember. upfront horns go almost all the way

true about the thickness in the back, but without the bumpers -at least the front- could one maybe stagger the trucks a tad sideways and have the horns side by side?

anyways, much more fun to have the front hang from the ceiling... :)

I always found LC's more fun to drive than to crate... The pic of three scared me a bit. Mine has been in the position of the center one without benefit of crating! BrotherRob was less than fully familiar with the 80 when he tried something that he shouldn't have done. Let's not go there again!
Have you found a place where LC's are not available, or do you just love yours that much? You might consider removing the mods from one and getting another one where you are going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom