Shifter relocation - can it be done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a LX450, and I have the same anoyance with it as with my dad's and brother's cruisers. The T on the tranny shifter hits my knee. I did a search to see if anyone had done this before, I found some complaints about hitting the OD button, which apparently is caused by being a spastic monkey boy (paraphrasing from the other post), and one solution to that was a Razo shift knob that doesn't have a T and the OD button is on the top. I'm guessing that's not a real hard change to make, though flashy shift knobs that cost 150 bucks aren't high on my priority list, if that is the only practical solution, then I'll probably do it.

I was wondering though if the shifter is just a cable shifter (is it?), then maybe I can just yank out the center console and sub and build my own center console and relocate the shifter there. Then I can use the shifter location for drinks? Or put in a switch pannel to match the wood or something. Mostly I just want the shifter moved, and I'll worry about what to do with the hole later.

So -

1. Is it possible?
2. Has anyone done it?

Thanks in advance,

Heath

I still think the solution, when I (another spastic monkey boy) get around to it, is to swap shifters from my RHD to my LHD 80, and vice versa. Assuming it can be done.

If you are hiting the shifter because you are tall, look at what others have done to move the seat rails backward. This gives alot more room.
Chhers,
Sean

medtro said:
Assuming this can be done, is it necessary to relocate your thumb after that?
Don't be silly, that's not how evolution works. Future generations might develop a centralized thumb, but you'll have to suffer though with your plain-ol-side-mounted version :flipoff2:

As for the knee hitting the shifter thing. I had the problem too. I just learned to keep my knee off of it. Sounds like a trivial response, but that's really what I did. Most people end up doing the same thing.

The only good solution I've come across, to date, aside from developing inner thigh muscles is to pick up one of the seat brackets that allow you a couple more inches of leg room. Those who have installed the brackets love the results. Having personally sat in a rig with one, I can verify that the knee no longer comes in contact with the seat moved back a bit more.

You could always just sell the rig......

No Kidding! The guy I bought my 80 from was huge, he bought it (1 owner prior), drove it 20 miles home (Figured out his problem with the shifter), kicked the idea around on mud through a friend, and then I bought it the day after the Superbowl!!

And heighth didn't seem to be the only issue.....he was tall, but also a little wide.... :doh:

I'm told that the T on the shifter can be turned around, and friends have offered to do it for me but it's a low priority for me. My LC is a Japanese model and needed conversion.

It was actually easier to swap my left hand for the right.

Kalawang

medtro said:
Assuming this can be done, is it necessary to relocate your thumb after that?
Not if you've got good pinky control. Can you stick yours out when you drink tea, or is that just us :princess: LX 450 drivers?

Cruisin'Carolina said:
...but also a little wide.... :doh:
hey! I resemble that remark :flipoff2:

If I could learn to move my knee over to the left a bit...anyone can :D

So can someone answer the question? :flipoff2: Is it a cable shifter or linkage? I've been debating making my own console as well for other reasons, and the ability to relocate the shifter would probably push me over the edge on getting that project started.

I would like to know if that thing can be moved. When I the freeway and in cruise control I can't bring my leg up because it wedges between the steering wheel and the shifter. Not good. As long as my foot is on the gas I am OK. But if the shifter could be moved that would be great. :cheers:

Arya Ebrahimi said:
So can someone answer the question? :flipoff2: Is it a cable shifter or linkage?

Linkage...

OZCAL said:
For what it's worth, the shifter is on the other side of the console in my RHD 80.

"other" side meaning the same position as it is in a LHD 80
or
"other" side meaning opposite side as it is in a LHD 80

If its the same side as the LHD 80 I would say Mr. Toyota did not find it easy enough to move it, so it may be a challenge.

Montana Cruiser said:
"other" side meaning the same position as it is in a LHD 80
or
"other" side meaning opposite side as it is in a LHD 80

If its the same side as the LHD 80 I would say Mr. Toyota did not find it easy enough to move it, so it may be a challenge.
The latter. "Mirror image".

Thanks for pointing out my less than clear description ;)

David

I wonder if a shifter from a 98-02 4runner will work? kinda looks liuke a joystick.

I was looking at the transmission shift lever assembly (at EG 67) in the 97 FSM. It looks like the shift lever actuates a laterally running axle that that could receive the shift lever at either (left/right) end? Just speculating. One would need a different console, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom