Shakle and Exhaust Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. I came across this forum when searching for some info and just had to sign up. I drive a 2001 Landrover Disco, BMW 3 and a 1989 Toyota Fj-62. Enough with my personal intro :D

I am just about to purchase a set of shackles for my landcruiser off of Manafre and was wondering if running 4++ GSK shakles (+3 front and +2 rear) is ok with just a stock suspension. Would the install be somewhat simple and will there be problems with running them with my stock setup?

Another problem that I am having is an overheating problem. Under some engine strain (4x4 on sand or up a hill) my cruiser usually overheats to a point where it is at the 'red hot' mark. It then goes down when i put it in neutral and then rev the engine. I thought that this problem would have been solved with the new 4 core radiator I recently put in but i guess not. I am starting to think that the cat converters could be clogged and producing wayy to much back pressure causeing the car to overheat. Does this seem like a probable cause? Will summit high-flow cats be a good fix to this solution at about $85 a cat (don't want to pay $$$)?

Thanks in advance for all of you replies and I look forward to being apart of this landcruiser forum.

also, if you like bmw's check me out on DTMpower.net :D
http://www.dtmpower.net/ppost2/showgallery.php?ppuser=6043&cat=500&thumb=1

i think that white swine in the background is putting people off. Shackles are a pretty easy thing to replace, though i know nothing of the shackles you speak of. The springs really shouldn't make any difference either. Dont know about the heating problem though. Have you flushed your radiator? Do you have the expanding wire in the bottom radiator hose? I'm pretty sure that the red line is way up there in terms of hot and would have me very worried.

?
sam

It almost sounds like your fan clutch is going bad. Thoose are the same syptoms i was having when the one on my 2F was going bad. heres a quick check, while your engine is running try to stop the fan by grabbing it. If you can stop it real easily thats probley the problem. I know this method sounds dangerous and red-neck (yorue right it is, but it works, p.s. if the clutch is not bad its gana hurt a little) i dont know about your 3FE, probley the same kind of set up. It could also be that your belt is slipping. Im sure youve checked that stuff already though. whatever and good luck

P.S. loose the rover and by an 80 or 100

shackles are an easy swap....a 2" shackle provides 1" of lift. TOO long of a front shackle will effect steering tho....take away what little caster a cruiser axle has.

Check your timing on the engine too...fan clutch and belts are a good suggestion.

BMW3 is nice....and despite all their problems, I've always liked the Disco's...love the raised roof!

A safer way to check the fan clutch is - drive it until it shows to be really hot. Pull over and shut off the engine. Try to turn the fan by hand. It should be hard to turn. If it spins, it's bad.
Clogged cats will put you way down on power - although that's probably hard to tell the difference on a 3FE. ;)
I just had to replace the cats on my 95 - they were completely clogged and the exhaust was bypassing back through the EGR. It too was overheating a bit.
BTW, I kinda dig the Disco too. Wouldn't buy one, but I dig it. :D

check thermostat

Fan clutch. While in there replace all belts, hoses, WP and idler pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom