Shackle Blocks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure what the PO was thinking when he did this, but i'm thinking about cutting these pieces of tubing off, rewelding the stock spring hangers back on, and installing extended shackles on.

Have any of you ever seen something like this before and how dangerous do you think this is?

Kevin
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 003.jpg

hmmmm.......frame extenders, a different approach. Sorta like a body lift in reverse. The effect is the same as shackle extensions. Possibly more stable than shackles side play wise. :pig:

Damn!... what a mess :eek: I've seen spacing added before, but not that much... so how is the caster corrected ??

Damn!... what a mess :eek: I've seen spacing added before, but not that much... so how is the caster corrected ??

That looks like the rear axle based on which side the shackle is on in comparison to the end of the frame and the diff.

If you want height do a spring over, don't mess around with any of this garbage.

Purchased a 73-40 on ebay last year, went to pick it up (4hrs 1 way) and found the same type of redneck engineering. Asked the guy " How much will it cost me to not take the rig" My wifes jaw dropped open and she headed back to our truck before things got ugly!:mad: For the listing price on ebay he "let" me out of the deal. :doh: I was told by ebyer it had stock suspension . The suspension was but the booty-fab job was not! Lifes about experiences.............some good....some not! You need to get out your torch and go to work. Does it drive 1/2 OK?

ive seen monkeys play with their poo before,get out the torch:doh:

WOW, that is scary! I can imagine how that set-up stresses the frame. Do-over!

Those are some pretty rough looking welds. I'd probably find an alternative to reusing those hangers. You could probably build some from 2x4x .125 tubing (or the like) cut down the middle, and then sleeved that would look close to factory, maybe sneak an extra inch or so in them.
Also, thoroughly wire brush the frame in that area and at least to the axle center line to check for cracks. Might need a bit cut out or boxed or re-boxed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guy, i'm gonna cut em' off this weekend. I'm probably going to replace the hangers and the shackles with something a little more stout. I never thought about the stress this setup would put on the frame, i'll definately check that out.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom