SFLC 2014 Wintery Mix (5-7 December) at Uwharrie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang! My 80 still has most of the original drivetrain... Original starter and alternator, too. Im believing the hype about the 80 being the end of an era... But dang this 100 is comfortable! Sorry to hear about the electrical troubles, Brock. Hopefully your starter will hold out until you part ways with the vehicle. Just out of curiosity, what are the symptoms? Dead battery? Trouble starting?

It just did not start one time when key was turned....changing out the contacts is a $30 set of parts...and 4 hours of time as it is under the intake manifold on top of the engine block. LOL 205,000 miles is not too bad for a starter that is getting all that heat. I think if it goes will just replace with another Toyota starter with hopes it last another 205,000 miles. :) It goes with territory..... My FJ60 when it was mine had original clutch, drivetrain, aisin carb, etc in it still in 20010...it is 1984. :) Toyota built them to last.

I keep forgetting that these vehicles are 15 years old! They look pretty new. The 100 is by far the nicest car I've ever owned...

Toyota built the 80's and 60's to last. Now the manufactures engineer this cars and trucks with parts that don't last or can't be rebuilt. The throttle position sensor went out on my honda a $400 part because you also have to replace the throttle body, which is ridiculous. I luckily found a used one for $80.

I think the UZJ100 was built to last as well....the 60s and 80s had issues right out of factory as well. 100 is no different....but I hardly consider items failing or wearing after the vehicle has reached 150,000 or in my case 200,000 miles of usage is hardly a POORLY BUILT ITEM. LOL

The 60 series has poor rain gutter design, paper thin roofline, poor water bag for wipers in rear in drivers rear quarter panel and poorly placed carb right above the exhaust manifold. 80 series has had valve cover gasket leaks...rusting areas around roof rack and wind deflectors...EGR melting wiring harness from poor placement, head gaskets, etc. I dont personally think any vehicle is perfect and even within specific models and years there can be swings in reliablity.

Wear items on my UZJ100 that have been repaired since it was new that are not simple brakes, tires, wipers, etc.
- water pump and timing belt replaced as preventive maintenance (130,000 miles)
- new radiator; the upper plastic tank cracked (175,000 miles)
- removed AHC but was still working...just could not handle the weight of bumpers, sliders, winch, etc (130,000 miles)
- Front and Rear Diff Gears...I induced the damage offroading (160,000 miles)
- Replaced front seat, console, head rests and armrests leather covers...no tears...just dried and cracked and stained some (198,000 miles)
- potential starter or key ignition switch in near future...I am over 205,000 miles at moment

Anything else I have done was normal expected wear and tear from normal driving....

You've gotten your money's worth out of that starter. On my LX I had to change contacts out at 120k I think and haven't done it on the bronze 100 yet. That was one of the first things I DIY'd and it was a bit harrowing at first for me. I just kept thinking to myself why should I be looking at the inside of the top end of my engine to change a set of starter contacts? But I can't complain about $20 and some time every 100 or 200 thousand miles.

Over due. Muddy but fun. The guys in the boat. Bootleggers? Nice to see apart of the lake I have never seen.

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3726.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom