Severe Understeer!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I am a NOOB and I am having trouble with my steering, I recently did the disc brake conversion on my 72' fj40(v8, 38" tires).

I had to redo the Saginaw power steering because the guy that i got it from mickey moused it to s*** so I threw in the 3" drop off the pitman arm(Jeep Grand Cherokee) to compensate for the SOA. After aligning the steering I then took her for a spin and noticed that it was :mad: SEVERLY UNDERSTEERING :mad:!!!!.

I looked at where the steering stops were and there is 1" before it would touch the stops. My Monte Carlo has a tighter turning radius, and thats just not right! So my question is what the hell can i do to remedy this problem, high steer kit, longer pitman arm or something else?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome.

"SEVERLY UNDERSTEERING "....

Your turning radius is not as tight as you would like it.......that is not understeer...fyi.. :)

A longer pitman arm is most likely what you will need, unless your steering links are not adjsuted properly...

You mentioned hysteer...this is a very nice kit...many people have it, and love it...

http://4x4labs.com/

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
Your turning radius is not as tight as you would like it.......that is not understeer...fyi.. :)

I agree with my fellow Steve. Understeer is the 'plowing' sensation of a vehicle that's losing traction in a turn. Front tires begin to break adhesion before the rear ones. Oversteer is the opposite: fish-tailing.

Welcome Bunk_log!! :D

Last edited:
thanks for the quick replys,
sorry bout the improper use of terms, like i said NOOB.
Anywho do u guys know of a pitman arm that is longer than the jeep cherokee and still has the drop in it?
Will the hysteer kit correct my poor turning radius?

Bunk_log said:
Will the hysteer kit correct my poor turning radius?

Did you go to the web site? It covers turning radius in depth...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom