Severe Understeer!!!!

Hey guys I am a NOOB and I am having trouble with my steering, I recently did the disc brake conversion on my 72' fj40(v8, 38" tires).

I had to redo the Saginaw power steering because the guy that i got it from mickey moused it to s*** so I threw in the 3" drop off the pitman arm(Jeep Grand Cherokee) to compensate for the SOA. After aligning the steering I then took her for a spin and noticed that it was :mad: SEVERLY UNDERSTEERING :mad:!!!!.

I looked at where the steering stops were and there is 1" before it would touch the stops. My Monte Carlo has a tighter turning radius, and thats just not right! So my question is what the hell can i do to remedy this problem, high steer kit, longer pitman arm or something else?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor

Welcome.

"SEVERLY UNDERSTEERING "....

Your turning radius is not as tight as you would like it.......that is not understeer...fyi.. :)

A longer pitman arm is most likely what you will need, unless your steering links are not adjsuted properly...

You mentioned hysteer...this is a very nice kit...many people have it, and love it...

http://4x4labs.com/

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
Your turning radius is not as tight as you would like it.......that is not understeer...fyi.. :)

I agree with my fellow Steve. Understeer is the 'plowing' sensation of a vehicle that's losing traction in a turn. Front tires begin to break adhesion before the rear ones. Oversteer is the opposite: fish-tailing.

Welcome Bunk_log!! :D

Last edited:
thanks for the quick replys,
sorry bout the improper use of terms, like i said NOOB.
Anywho do u guys know of a pitman arm that is longer than the jeep cherokee and still has the drop in it?
Will the hysteer kit correct my poor turning radius?

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor

Bunk_log said:
Will the hysteer kit correct my poor turning radius?

Did you go to the web site? It covers turning radius in depth...

:)

Top Bottom