Setting idle mixture? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the process of fixing my electrical problem, found a leaky fuel pump, so got a new one of those, then decided to chek my plugs/compression etc. well the plugs tell me I'm running lean, so I pull out the books and try to reset the idle mixture (only carb adjustment I know of on these things). So I set the idle mixture screw to two turns out, and it won't run, so a little more out and she runs, but rough. A little more out and it smooths out, and I try to keep going out to find the rpm peak, but that's pretty much it, once it started idling smooth, the rpm didn't change at all, I tried turning it out alot, but they stayed the same. I figured set it just past the point where it first started running smoothly. Is this correct or am I missing somthing. Every carb I've worked with in the past, there was a definate rpm peak where it would increase to then decrease again.

New to the cruiser,
Bob

Setting the idle mixture only sets the idle mixture. If your plugs indicate you are running lean, you might very well have another problem unless you drive around at an idle all of the time. Your inability to make it run rich may indicate a vacuum leak or other problem.

I've got an 86 fj60. It has the stock aisin carb on it. The manual is actually from the 81? model year. So I guess it's time to pick up some starting fluid and go looking for a manifold problem. Coincidentally, it has what I think is an exhaust leak (ticking sound that changes frequency with rpm, but goes away when not on the gas) so the manifold gasket be a good place to start looking?

you need to do a vac test. Basically turn the idle adj screw in/out and stop when the vac drops. Sounds like you have other issues. Look at the timing, plug gap, vac leaks etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom