Sequoia values?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my frustration of searching for a 100 series for an overland build I have found myself seeking out alternative vehicles and I have started considering Gen 1 Sequoias. Seems like there are many more used examples available for decent, basically cheap prices.

My question - why do the Sequoias not seem to hold their value like similar Toyota vehicles? I know landcruisers and LX470 are fairly rare as US production numbers were not huge so that makes some sense - but Tacomas and 4runners (I assume Tundras as well?) seem plentiful but also seem to hold value better?

I will probably just wait out the irrational buying frenzy going on right now for the 100 series and grab one in the fall when prices come back down to earth, (my theory is that months of quarantine combined with summer has led to a huge demand spike for all outdoor recreational vehicles like overlander suvs, watercraft, atv's, etc. and come fall a bunch of these will end up back on the market driving prices back down). Nonetheless, I would like to understand why Sequoias appear to be an outlier resale-wise in the Toyota lineup, just in case I go that route.

Thanks,
Joe

I wouldn't hold my breath for 100s to come back down to earth. 60 values are nuts, 80s are on their way, and 100s are getting started.

1st gen Tundras/Sequoias are good vehicles, no doubt, but they are not the same build quality as the LC. Not by a long shot - but they were never meant to compete with one another. They were also more obtainable, so more of them are beat up. The LC will continue to increase in value or at worst it will hold it. I wouldn't say the same for Tundra/Sequoia...they just don't have the following.

If you don't mind watching the resale value slide and just want a good platform with a good drivetrain to carry you around then the Tundra/Sequoia is a great pick.

I get what you are saying about the Sequoias place vs. LC, but again what about tacomas and 4 runners? I agree a Sequoia seems perfectly suitable as an overland vehicle, I was just curious if it was size, appearance, or something else I am unaware of making it less valuable than the other offerings.

As for 100 series prices I know they will always be in demand and have a cult following - so they will never be cheap. Especially pristine or low mile examples. I just meant this nonsense that seems to have begun over the last month or two, where 20 year old 200K+ miles beaters sell quickly for $15K etc etc. That strikes me as frenzied behavior and seems unlikely to last. I sense a lot of bored noobs getting in over their heads that will have buyers remorse and be unloading these soon enough when the warm weather turns and they need money for Xmas shopping.

In short, I can't say for certain what drives the difference. I will say that Taco's and 4Rs have a ton more aftermarket support and have an arguably better aesthetic. I'm weird though, and generally buy vehicles for their driveline.

I'd chalk this frenzy up to social media and likely some local market conditions. Sure some are selling for those crazy prices, but some people pay sticker at a car lot, too. It's just not often. I'd say those crazy ones are popping up more on your feeds or in your searches because more people are scoffing or having discussions in comment threads at their absurd prices. Most of the 100s in my area are 200k-250k and are moving for 6-12k, with a decent example being get-able for 8ish.

Thanks Zjohnsonua - that makes sense, and I agree the Sequoia aftermarket offerings are limited. I was mostly concerned their might be some smoking gun issue with Sequoias I was unaware of - but it sounds like that is not the case. It sounds like it's a solid platform that for whatever superficial reason is not as desireable. I can live with that - as functionality matters more. Not to mention the built Sequoias I have seen look pretty cool to me too.

Based on what you are seeing, it does sound like local markets are probably to blame for the 100 series prices I am seeing. Here in AZ I seldom see any 100 series listed below $10K - unless it has over 300K miles or issues. I am guessing CA buyers expand their search to neighboring western states and have driven up prices here somewhat.

Well I will continue to search - something will turn up worth buying eventually. It already seems like I am seeing more 100 series available than I did last month, and summer is not even over yet. But if the right Sequoia comes along (unless someone else reveals a smoking gun) I'll most likely go that route with the understanding I will have to absorb some depreciation when the time comes to sell.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks Zjohnsonua - that makes sense, and I agree the Sequoia aftermarket offerings are limited. I was mostly concerned their might be some smoking gun issue with Sequoias I was unaware of - but it sounds like that is not the case. It sounds like it's a solid platform that for whatever superficial reason is not as desireable. I can live with that - as functionality matters more. Not to mention the built Sequoias I have seen look pretty cool to me too.

Based on what you are seeing, it does sound like local markets are probably to blame for the 100 series prices I am seeing. Here in AZ I seldom see any 100 series listed below $10K - unless it has over 300K miles or issues. I am guessing CA buyers expand their search to neighboring western states and have driven up prices here somewhat.

Well I will continue to search - something will turn up worth buying eventually. It already seems like I am seeing more 100 series available than I did last month, and summer is not even over yet. But if the right Sequoia comes along (unless someone else reveals a smoking gun) I'll most likely go that route with the understanding I will have to absorb some depreciation when the time comes to sell.

Thanks again!
Just the soccer mom stigma it carries... Lc doesn't carry that. A well built Sequoia will go anywhere a 100 will go and it's got more room. Just depends on your needs. I went with a tree over a 100 because I have 6. The 80 was too small for 6 taking anything with us. The 100 was tight and cost too much. I've taken my tree over some very rough terrain and the only thing stopping it was me not wanting body damage. Fit and finish on the inside dont matter to me, I have 4 kids so the Sequoia has been great. You can find some great deals on them as well

While I love my 80 (and it eclipsing my purchase price in ~1999) - I bought a Tundra over a 200 despite the better transfer case options on the ‘13+ models.

At the time in Jan ‘17 the ‘13+ 200’s were still asking ~$50K for a good example, where shy $30K got my ‘12 Tundra.

Bang/buck - Tundra / Sequoia

Long term investment & elevated upkeep costs, sure - Landcruiser, esp if you don’t rack up a ton of miles.

Down the road a well papered, low-miled 100 will still bring a excellent ROI - the Sequoia won’t but that’s to be expected by the commonality.

Esp since the engines in the 100 & 200 are the same as the Tundra / Sequoia models (or can be bought that way) - if you don’t feel the need for long-term ROI or the elevated upkeep costs are worth it, get the G1 Sequoia.

The GF picked up a 01 Sequoia and a 98 100 series very cheap recently. They both needed work and you can guess who has the pleasure of doing that for her. I will say this the Sequoia's quality issues can be managed. For example the back hatch breaks the latch, you can get an all metal version and make thing solid again. The known issue of the rear window in the hatch stop working, well thats at quick fix with moving an adjustment bolt etc. The flimsy front bumper cover holding the running/fog lights, well you can do things to make those more stable etc. There are some differences though, as the 100 series has a super light lower tailgate and the hatch is lighter/shorter and seems more solid, yet smoother to work with. compared to the 80 series tailgate the 100 series is much easier for my GF to lift. The Sequoia wins with roominess, and both are pretty comfortable to ride in. I am sure the 100 series are pretty sturdy, and certainly seems sturdier than her Sequoia, but my 80 seems like a tank in comparison to both of them. If i had a choice between a 4runner with v8 and a 100 series, i would have a hard time deciding but price being the same i would get the 100 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom