Seeking 4Runner isolator data (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

I asked this elsewhere and my only reply was to make me aware of this forum. I should have come here first... looks excellent.

I'm converting my 05 GX from air to springs to push one more vulnerability out of my life.. the rear end deflating when some $0.35 part fails and before I'm staring at that $2000 compressor or whatever they want fails.

I pick up the springs for the 05 4Runner after lunch today, but I passed on the shock isolators. $130 each for what looks like... at a distance via the internet... just a floppy piece of rubber. I have not seen one in person. My understanding is that this simply eliminates metal on metal contact between the spring at the cup. I just don't see me forking that out when I have a full machine shop in my basement.

As I do not have a shock isolator to measure, I'm asking anyone here who might have one laying around who can make three quick measurements if I could impose on you to do so. If someone could measure these things for me, I would appreciate it:
  • The outer diameter of the isolator end (top)
  • The thickness of the load-bearing section of the isolator
  • The inner diameter of the "boss" that entraps the spring ID
Please see attached crappy diagram for clarity. Thanks.

Isolator measurements.png

Since I have a bunch of delrin in my stock pile, I'm considering turning the isolators out of that, though I won't be adding the pyramidal section... it appears hollow and unstructural on the web, and with little or no function, so I'll just do a 2-step ring. Anyone have any thoughts on the suitability of delrin? It's self-lubricating and tough and seems like a decent candidate for an isolator. If I get the time, I'll also fab something out of rubber too... I'll need to get some dry ice Monday to freeze/harden the rubber to turn on the lathe. Or cast them out of flexseal?? LOL

If anyone had photos of the upper and lower mounting cups (my term), I would love to see what those look like too.

Truck goes in Monday.. I lost access to my lift when a friend passed and I'm too ancient to do this stuff under the truck anymore. Thank you for any help you can provide.

X

Lots of people have just used hockey pucks as the lower mount. I've also seen someone use HF caster wheels. There are more posts on this in the GX section since they all came equipped with air suspension. GX470 / Prado120 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/gx470-prado120.237/

I think these two threads from the GX forum should answer your questions though

Lots of people have just used hockey pucks as the lower mount. I've also seen someone use HF caster wheels. There are more posts on this in the GX section since they all came equipped with air suspension. GX470 / Prado120 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/gx470-prado120.237/

I think these two threads from the GX forum should answer your questions though

Appreciated. I have a block of HDPE down there I considered and have killed more cutting boards for raw material harvesting than I care to think about:) Must be 30 pucks in my old hockey bag too... never thought to use those when I need material too, so cool, I learned something at least. I did abort and right now I can't remember why.. I bailed and bought new Toyota. Something fortuitious did happen as I was buying the stock spring isolators and I paid drastically less, but regardless. I failed at the mission unlike the gentleman in the linked posts. Thank you again.

While I'm here...... any chance anyone knows the diameter/pitch of the bolts that hold the bump stops to the frame? Thanks.

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom