Seeking 2018 Sequoia Input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings Fellow Mud-ers!

As the heading states, I’m looking for feedback on the pluses and minuses of the 2018 Toyota Sequoia. I’ve had an 80 and 100 series LC, a GX470 and GX460, and the 4th and 5th generation 4Runner. It’s safe to say I’m a Toyota loyalist.

I’m looking at the Sequoia as I like the extra interior space for stuff and a Labrador in the rear and my growing son in the 2nd row, and the V8, plus good for my level of offroading (wider trails, fields) and bad weather use. I’ve considered an 2014-2015 LC, but those are hard to find - especially with lower mileage (I realize they will last ~500k miles).

Anyway, Toyota doesn’t sell many Sequoias per year (12-13k) and the design is older (though they’ve freshened up the front and added TSS-P this year). Yet, there’s a solid $3k rebate right now and with dealer discount, I’ve found a Platinum (Silver Sky) with an MSRP of $69,450 that can be had for $60,200. That’s still a LOT of dinero. Just wanted feedback from folks who own or have owned them (or worked on them).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I bought my wife a new Sequoia Limited around last Thanksgiving, so we haven't had it for a full year, but we have covered 18k miles :cool:

Overall we absolutely love it. It's a simple, honest SUV. We cross-shopped used 200-series LC as well and we preferred the LC in every way but we had to have the extra space of the sequoaia...so it goes. I have only taken it on mild offroad trails and its done surprisingly well, but its full-sized truck wide, so that can really limit where you can take it. I am planning on putting on a Dobinson 2" lift, 33-34" tires and a proper rack before the end of the year, so we can start taking it on more extended backcountry trips because the full family cannot fit in my 80-series anymore. If you ever want to lift a sequoia don't get the Platinum version with the rear air suspension.

You can get insane deals on new sequoias if you look. Here in the NW you can find new 2017's still on the lot, and I am pretty sure you could get a Limited for as little as $52k.

Pros
  • It's a Toyota 4x4
  • That 5.7 v8
  • Roll down rear window
  • Lots of usable space
  • lack of electronic "features"
  • The sound quality of the JBL stereo

Cons
  • it's not an LC
  • Fuel economy. Around town 12mpg, avg 14mpg over the last 18k miles, and have seen a high 19mpg on a multi-state road trip
  • Rear IFS makes aftermarket support suck
  • lack of a split rear hatch
  • Nav/infotainment system is massively outdated, but it's a dual DIN so easily replaceable.

I bought my wife a new Sequoia Limited around last Thanksgiving, so we haven't had it for a full year, but we have covered 18k miles :cool:

Overall we absolutely love it. It's a simple, honest SUV. We cross-shopped used 200-series LC as well and we preferred the LC in every way but we had to have the extra space of the sequoaia...so it goes. I have only taken it on mild offroad trails and its done surprisingly well, but its full-sized truck wide, so that can really limit where you can take it. I am planning on putting on a Dobinson 2" lift, 33-34" tires and a proper rack before the end of the year, so we can start taking it on more extended backcountry trips because the full family cannot fit in my 80-series anymore. If you ever want to lift a sequoia don't get the Platinum version with the rear air suspension.

You can get insane deals on new sequoias if you look. Here in the NW you can find new 2017's still on the lot, and I am pretty sure you could get a Limited for as little as $52k.

Pros
  • It's a Toyota 4x4
  • That 5.7 v8
  • Roll down rear window
  • Lots of usable space
  • lack of electronic "features"
  • The sound quality of the JBL stereo

Cons
  • it's not an LC
  • Fuel economy. Around town 12mpg, avg 14mpg over the last 18k miles, and have seen a high 19mpg on a multi-state road trip
  • Rear IFS makes aftermarket support suck
  • lack of a split rear hatch
  • Nav/infotainment system is massively outdated, but it's a dual DIN so easily replaceable.
Thanks so much for this helpful, detailed and informative reply, Matt!

I ended up getting a Platinum as I don’t plan on any mods to the suspension other than a front and rear TRD sway bar. And the deal - though it is a 2018 (I found a few 2017’s in my search, but all were over 350 miles away), was solid. Under $60k with a 100k mile $0 deductible Toyota warranty.

As you mentioned, it’s not a LC, but it’s closer than I thought it would be. And it feels a lot smaller after I’ve been driving a Tundra (great truck) - even though they share the same engine and frame, etc. I do think Toyota would do well going to an 8 speed gear box, and the display does need updating. Yet, it’s a solid, honest, reliable SUV (as you mentioned). Toyota seems to consider it as they do the 4Runner: the same engine and gear box is working / reliable and we are selling enough, so why change it now? Rivals have more features and better mpg’s, but their cost is about $15-20k more with generally less reliability.

Thanks again for your input!

Enjoy in good health. Like others I really wanted to put the Mrs in a 200 series LC, but the Sequoia made much more sense for how we planned to use it (mostly snow and ski related travel). As you noted the technology is dated, but it’s rock solid, reliable, and luxury car quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom