Secondary air filter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone else removed the secondary air filter or tried to clean/replace? I guess I never paid attention before when I changed my air filter. This thing was filthy! I broke the plastic rivets trying to remove it. I will admit it sure runs better!
IMG_20210803_135521.jpg
IMG_20210803_135511.jpg

IMG_20210803_135514.jpg

For anyone else considering this "maintenance" . . .

If I were going to attempt to clean it, I would remove the whole air cleaner assembly from the engine and wiring harness. Make sure you protect the top of the engine to prevent debris from falling into the valve ports, etc. Then I would attempt to shop vac the filter fabric. If that didn't work, I might try pushing compressed air gently through the material from inside the assembly back out the intake filter fabric. As a last resort I might try running water through it and then air drying it sufficiently before putting it back on the engine. I would not drill out the plastic rivets and remove a non-serviceable component from the assembly.

You can just throw it away. Literally does nothing but absorb gas vapors that try and backflow out through the intake for emissions. After ten years its probably not doing its job anymore anyway.

Anyone running an aftermarket cold air intake has removed the entire assembly. It can't be that important. I did look up the part number and found it was discontinued.

Anyone running an aftermarket cold air intake has removed the entire assembly. It can't be that important. I did look up the part number and found it was discontinued.
The full part number: 17700-31531
I looked it up last year and it was still available, but not many in US inventory back in August 2020.

I don't think it would matter at this point that thing is saturated from the carbon in the intake it's main job is for emission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom