Second Post. EDITED! And done. This can be closed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
EDIT: was just told by a dealer that Toyota "ceased production on the current generation of Sequoias". Is that True?

is there any way to determine if that is true, or how many Sequoias Toyota plans to build for the 2022 model year? I cannot find any info. on Toyota's site or anywhere else.

Contact with dealers in several states has resulted in a lot of requests for deposits and no certainty when, or if, one will appear. A couple of dealers suggest they can 'order' one built to my spec and delivered in 2-4 months, but everything I have read suggests that Toyota is not entertaining orders to spec at this time. Other dealers have said that Toyota is not accepting build orders. Now, the above .... ???

Is there any way to determine how many (ideally of each model) will be built; whether they are, in fact, being built; or if we can determine when/on what schedule Sequoias might be shipped (then, can go back to 'the usual suspects' and inquire again about allocations)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to know as well. It could be just a dealer spewing misinformation to generate more demand. Or there could be some truth to it.

I remember reading this article last month. It's referring to production in Japan and North America. Not sure what, if any, impact it has on the Sequoia since it's built in the Princeton, Indiana plant.

I honestly wonder when the Sequoia will be a discontinued model. Lowest selling vehicle in their line and with diminishing sales year over year ; unsure why 2021 had a spike, maybe it was a "TRD PRO" model, or the pump of SUV sales due to COVID.

1641869139069.png

I'd be curious to know as well. It could be just a dealer spewing misinformation to generate more demand. Or there could be some truth to it.

I remember reading this article last month. It's referring to production in Japan and North America. Not sure what, if any, impact it has on the Sequoia since it's built in the Princeton, Indiana plant.

Hmmmm, that would make sense of what the dealer said. Would imagine that all plants are affected somewhat. I thought the Sequoia production was moved South, wherever the Tundra is built …

I honestly wonder when the Sequoia will be a discontinued model. Lowest selling vehicle in their line and with diminishing sales year over year ; unsure why 2021 had a spike, maybe it was a "TRD PRO" model, or the pump of SUV sales due to COVID.

View attachment 2890196
That’s dismal. The story of my life, whether investments, waves or, now, vehicles: “You should’ve been here yesterday” …

I was hoping that, it being early in the production year and with a lot of pent up demand due to recent shortages, there would be production into early summer, maybe even August. Looks as though I better find something acceptable that is available now, rather than hold out for what I want (TRD Pro, which seems to be a bit of a unicorn anyway).

That’s dismal. The story of my life, whether investments, waves or, now, vehicles: “You should’ve been here yesterday” …

I was hoping that, it being early in the production year and with a lot of pent up demand due to recent shortages, there would be production into early summer, maybe even August. Looks as though I better find something acceptable that is available now, rather than hold out for what I want (TRD Pro, which seems to be a bit of a unicorn anyway).

Honestly, with the way I’ve set up my Limited, I wouldn’t want a Pro. I’ve got more features and better suspension and it’s got my own personalization and uniqueness.

Honestly, with the way I’ve set up my Limited, I wouldn’t want a Pro. I’ve got more features and better suspension and it’s got my own personalization and uniqueness.
Starting to convince me ….. If you don’t mind, what sort of suspension components do you have? All OEM or did you modify it? A major factor in my desire for the Pro is the Fox/sway bar set up. Seems to be the best of both worlds: great road manners and enhanced off-road capability.

Do you mind outlining what you have in the way of suspension: springs/rates, shocks, sway bars, other components? Are you optimized for road or for off-road? As I mentioned, I will use the vehicle mostly on the road: road-trips, ferrying kids and equipment. Off road will be trails not involving real rock climbing, just getting us out into the boonies (Fire roads, washboard, desert …).

PS: adding under trays/skid plates, etc was always contemplated anyway.

thanks.

Starting to convince me ….. If you don’t mind, what sort of suspension components do you have? All OEM or did you modify it? A major factor in my desire for the Pro is the Fox/sway bar set up. Seems to be the best of both worlds: great road manners and enhanced off-road capability.

Do you mind outlining what you have in the way of suspension: springs/rates, shocks, sway bars, other components? Are you optimized for road or for off-road? As I mentioned, I will use the vehicle mostly on the road: road-trips, ferrying kids and equipment. Off road will be trails not involving real rock climbing, just getting us out into the boonies (Fire roads, washboard, desert …).

PS: adding under trays/skid plates, etc was always contemplated anyway.

thanks.
I’m the same, mostly on road, family road trips to Florida etc, camping, able to go off fire trails, dirt/gravel without thinking about it. Haul a ton of stuff, 2 boys and a dog vehicle. It’s been a fun “Dad Project” vehicle for me!!

https://www.tundras.com/threads/bilstein-6112’s-and-dobinsons-1-75”-springs-shocks.96411/

I’m the same, mostly on road, family road trips to Florida etc, camping, able to go off fire trails, dirt/gravel without thinking about it. Haul a ton of stuff, 2 boys and a dog vehicle. It’s been a fun “Dad Project” vehicle for me!!

https://www.tundras.com/threads/bilstein-6112’s-and-dobinsons-1-75”-springs-shocks.96411/

Wow! Thanks. Only glanced through the build thread, I’m on my way out, but that is exactly what I need to see: what can be done and how easily.

I will read the thread later and am sure to get an idea of what is possible and useful.

That Tundra board looks like it will be useful; it looks as though there are a lot of interchangeable parts between the vehicles, and probably a lot of aftermarket bits and pieces that will fit both.

I now have to improvise, adapt and overcome in response to this completely irrational and nonsensical auto market. I’m ready to pull the trigger, will buy new, just have to find a reasonably priced vehicle. And, in light of everything, am ready to forego the TRD Pro and just ‘build my own’. That might be better: can do it as I use the vehicle, and am better able to ID what I really need.

Thanks again. Will keep posting at least until I get the vehicle. Then start a build thread.

Getting weirder and weirder. Now have spoken to dealers in five or six states. No uniformity of answers to my question: can you get me one, or order one?

Am told no one can order; they can request a specific model/accessories, but there is no guarantee that it, or anything like it, will be built.
Analog to the above, one dealer offered to let me put down a $2500 non-refundable deposit with no guarantee that I would get any car, never mind the spec I requested!
Have been told that the TRD Pro cannot be sold because of a recall issue. So, even if a dealer is able to locate one it cannot be sold.
Also have been told that Sequoias are not being built at all; there are no more 2022s as they switch over to the re-designed 2023.
Did find two within 800 miles: a Platinum for $78,000 and a TRD Pro for $85,000 (that couldn't be sold).

A really dismal situation. Looks as though I may not get one at all. Might eventually be able to get a Sequoia, but not anything near what I want, and I'm reluctant to spend almost $70,000 for a vehicle I will want to put another $10,000 into to get what I want.

Getting weirder and weirder. Now have spoken to dealers in five or six states. No uniformity of answers to my question: can you get me one, or order one?

Am told no one can order; they can request a specific model/accessories, but there is no guarantee that it, or anything like it, will be built.
Analog to the above, one dealer offered to let me put down a $2500 non-refundable deposit with no guarantee that I would get any car, never mind the spec I requested!
Have been told that the TRD Pro cannot be sold because of a recall issue. So, even if a dealer is able to locate one it cannot be sold.
Also have been told that Sequoias are not being built at all; there are no more 2022s as they switch over to the re-designed 2023.
Did find two within 800 miles: a Platinum for $78,000 and a TRD Pro for $85,000 (that couldn't be sold).

A really dismal situation. Looks as though I may not get one at all. Might eventually be able to get a Sequoia, but not anything near what I want, and I'm reluctant to spend almost $70,000 for a vehicle I will want to put another $10,000 into to get what I want.
Wow. That is a real bummer. What is the recall issue? Haven’t heard anything about it.

Would you be willing to buy the redesigned Sequoia? I know some people were anxiously waiting for it, but others (like myself) prefer the old school design.

Have you considered used? Like certified pre owned or just under 100k miles vehicles. I’m sure there are specimens out there.

Very weird, and I'd call BS on the recall. Unless they really messed up in building new 2022s, my 2021 from late last summer has no active recalls.

$85K for a $60K truck is nuts. You are right on the used being as much or more than new. I started looking at used first and quickly pivoted to new once I realized it would be the same cost or even MORE to buy used. Keep the faith and perhaps expand your search. Maybe you can one way fly somewhere close-ish and drive it home.

I have heard the recall story from two dealers, so who knows. And, yes, searching all over, but several dealers have said they won’t sell outside their area. Some will, but have no cars. Working on patience; after a few rounds of dealers receiving allotments maybe something will turn up, or at least I’ll have a clearer idea of what the situation is.

As for used vehicles, that still looks like a ‘no joy’ situation. Revisited the listings nationwide and received promos from dealers and the story is the same. $70,000 for a two or three year old vehicle with up to 40,000+ miles. I cannot justify that, especially when almost all have some assortment of chips, scratches, marred leather, something. I came very close: a ‘21 TRD Pro with fewer than 14,000 miles and very clean. Didn‘t like the color and the price was $68k. When I pointed out how ridiculous the price was the salesman agreed! Concluded that there was room to maneuver there, but not sure there’s $15k of room, still can’t get past the color …

… the adventure continues.

UPDATE: clearly there will be a 'new' Sequoia. As others have noted, it will be revealed on January 25 (in just a couple of days). Still not clear on the status of current generation vehicles: I have been told, 'with certainty', that 2022 models cannot be ordered, and that they can.

Have been running around for weeks chasing non-existent vehicles and deals, misrepresented vehicles and every other permutation of auto-buying horror. This week I will put down a deposit on a 2022 and we will see what happens (while I still chase every ad I see). See my other thread "Which Sequoia To Buy" for the result.

Thanks for keeping all of the threads updated. The reveal will be interesting, and, as you mentioned in the other thread, hopefully will open up some of the 2022 inventory from people wanting 2023s. I'm rather shocked that Toyota was able to keep the 23 Sequoia under wraps and rolling it out so quickly on the new platform

Thanks for keeping all of the threads updated. The reveal will be interesting, and, as you mentioned in the other thread, hopefully will open up some of the 2022 inventory from people wanting 2023s. I'm rather shocked that Toyota was able to keep the 23 Sequoia under wraps and rolling it out so quickly on the new platform
Thank you for the compliment. It has been interesting, if frustrating. “All a part of life’s rich tapestry” as Jeremy Clarkson would undoubtedly say.

re: the introduction of the new Sequoia. I am surprised that the dealer network, or at least the salesmen, had no awareness of what is coming or when. Not one that I have spoken to mentioned the new model and, when I did, really had nothing to remark.

Well, this thread can be closed. I found The One, see my other thread , "Which One to Buy", for the details.

It is a 2021 TRD Sport, almost new (fewer than 7,000 miles). I am very pleased and will soon post photos in the other thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom