seatbelts & pet dividers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 9 month old lab puppy chewed through a seatbelt (rear seat)! I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a replacement seatbelt besides the $104 one I saw in SOR. I have an 89 FJ62.

I was also wondering if anyone has a pet divider. I saw one made by Smittybuilt, and was curious if anyone has one or another. Thanks.

RangerDave,
Pick up a belt from the wreckers (I know of wreckers who specialize in 'Cruisers, they are not cheap but they arn't $104 for a seat belt either) or one of the guys thats parting out a '60/62 of the right interior color.
What part number did you have for the pet divider? I'm interested in some sort of a luggage barrier for my '82 BJ60. When we travel with all four kids the luggage is above the level of the rear seat and could potentially cause problems in an emergency situation.

CruiserGuy-
No part number for the pet divider, but if you search on Amazon.com, they have the one I've seen in most places. I tried a google search on "pet dividers" and the one that kept coming up was the same product on Amazon, just a billion different companies carry it. It looks okay, though it looks like it secures itself with a curtain rod type mechanism, which will keep the dogs in the back, but I don't know about crash testing, or what it will do to the headliner in the long run. I'm going to keep looking for now, when I have more time.

It doesn't sound like what I'd be looking for then. I want something that'll keep the luggage separate from us in a crash situation.

I did the same search for my 60 sometime ago-with an active Lab puppy, we needed it! The best I came up with (reasonably priced that is) was this:

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/shopping/auto_barriers/products/product_21226.shtml

It's made up of fairly large gauge (coated) metal all the way with adjustable width, but like the others, uses top (roof) to bottom (floor) pressure to stay up.As the bottom are made up of a large bolt with a small rubber cover, I put a couple of 2x4 pieces underneath the bolts as to not damage the floor over time. The top went into an indention in the roof between the headliner and roof-almost like it was made for it (my headliner isn't the greatest, so I wasn't worried about damaging it any, though the barrier does stretch the material some). Once mounted in, it's pretty doggone secure, and I don't hear any rattles from it.

It's only effective when the seat back is up-there is no lower region...a good thing for the most part. The only pain is if I have to carry something long that's fairly high-it's gotta come out, but that only takes 5 min or so. As the bottom is open, you can get away with carrying long but not tall items (2x4's etc) without taking it out. My other gripe is that it is in several sections (left, middle, right) to be adjustable width-wise, and uses bolts with clamps to hold them together. Where those bolts kinda stick out could hurt the dog if she got flung up into them, but if that happens I guess, we've got a whole lot more issues too.

It works well with the dog (and the no dog hair on my new carpet/seat covers either!), and while I'm pretty sure it would work okay in holding *some* luggage from floor to ceiling, I wouldn't plan against it protecting against a large accident and carrying something really heavy that may turn into a missle. It is however, better than nothing in that respect by far, and beats those tube barriers by a country mile. (Maybe mod the mounting to beef it up?? Possible methinks.) Admittedly, I have not wheeled since having it installed, so with heavy wheeling, I'm not sure how it would hold up stock (minor 4x4 and d/d should be more than fine).

The *real* luggage barriers (bolt onto the frame, floor, etc.) that do claim to protect in accidents all seem to come from Aussie land (they get all the cool stuff), are pretty expensive, and seem to be meant for a more permanant installation:

http://4wdinteriors.com/barrier_overview.php

It doesn't seem like they are made up of very expensive materials (steel tubing and wire mesh for the most part not including the mounting), so I guess what you're paying for there is product liability more than anything (friggen ambulance chasers).

Someone's gotta make one similar to them that's decent and less expensive....

Cruc

I like the look and idea of the Milford cargo barrier. http://www.cargobarrier.com/

From the info on their website you should be able to mount it in two locations in a 60/62, behind either seat row. It requires a permanent install of a mounting braket (I'm thinking mount two sets so you can move the barrier as needed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom