sea foam treatment to pass smog. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, played with water and carb cleaner today. I used the aspiration method. That is a ran a line from the plugged vacuum port to where I could aspirate up some fluid out of a jar and simultaneously press the gas pedal. I revved the engine up to 3k RPM and started to aspirate water in. I aspirated in about 16oz. The engine ran a bit better in some ways, and seamed worse in others, and it definitely still wasn't smooth. I then tried spray carb cleaner. I had some so what the heck. I used it's tube to direct the spray into the vacuum line. It improved things a bit. I'd guess I used up a bit more than 1/2 a can. The engine still wasn't running as smooth as I'd like. Next I tried a really old bottle of gumout mix with fuel type carb cleaner. It had been laying around since the last time I ran carbureted vehicles over a decade ago. After 4oz of the stuff the truck was running allot smoother. It isn't perfect yet. Before doing the test, and after trying each fluid I drove the truck a good 10 miles on rural highways and gravel roads to gauge how it was acting.

Note: When I aspirated in the fluids, I didn't stick the end of the tube under the fluid surface. I held it just above the surface so the vacuum air sucked up a stream of it. I modulated the stream by how hard the engine was struggling to keep going. This way I kept a pretty good steady flow into the engine.

Would I use water again, no. The effect just wasn't enough. Compared to using the carb cleaners it was pointless and a waste of time. Next time I'd start with a quality in the tank carb and injector cleaner.

I've done both, and now swear by Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. Its an aerosol product which you spray down the intake manifold. Its amazing for a serious cleaning.

So I've run Seafoam in this tank most recent tank of gas, and for the last 150 miles, she's started faster, idled smoother, and cruised quieter.

Now, I know that there are many variables involved, and I'm sure that my new fuel pump helps with acceleration, and removing that Bic pen from the fuel lines has definitely improved flow, but I think that whatever the magic formula for Seafoam is, it's improved fuel combustion, done great things for my idle, and drastically cut down in pinging with cheap gas. Much better than STP or other fuel additives I've tried.

I'm sold.

... I think that whatever the magic formula for Seafoam is ...

It's not magic or even secret, according to the msds it is:
Pail oil 40-60%
Naptha 25-35%
IPA 10-20%

So about half light mineral oil, about a third Naptha (lighter fluid) and a splash of Isopropyl Alcohol.:meh:

It's not magic or even secret, according to the msds it is:
Pail oil 40-60%
Naptha 25-35%
IPA 10-20%

So about half light mineral oil, about a third Naptha (lighter fluid) and a splash of Isopropyl Alcohol.:meh:

It definitely does the trick in te fuel mix. I'm a little aprehensive to try it in my oil though.

I have used it off and on for a few years. I have always gotten at least 2 or 3 more MPG out of a tank of gas with SeaFoam in it.

I have put about 4 oz in the oil and ran it 10-20 miles then changed the oil once, and now, for one reason or the other, in my Tacoma after draining the oil during an oil change, I pour about on ounce or two in to the empty crankcase, and then wait for it do drain. Then I run about 3 or 4 oz. of fresh oil to run most of the Seafoam out of the engine, and then let it drain. Then I add my fresh oil. I think I am trying to get as must crap out of the engine as possible. Whittle away at all of the previous owners neglect...

I also put about 8-12 oz. in a Subaru crankcase (whatever the bottle recommended) and drove it at least 100 miles like that. WOW the engine seemed to have more available torque and horsepower. It seemed to run better, smoother idle, acceleration, etc but I was always apprehensive of doing this in any Toyota and may never put that much into a crankcase again.

My question is: how many people beleive that adding SeaFoam to the gas ( and it getting to the oil by blowby), or putting it directly into the crankcase could cause damage to engine gaskets?

I run alot of fuel addatives in the past like STP, Gumout, NAPA brand, ORiellys, Shamrock or other off-brand (I like the big bottle of Lucas Oil Fuel
Additive lately) but notice a strangeish rainbow sheen on top of oil, or even brown colors, in oil that has drained into a pan during a change, but have also on occasion noticed sludge dropping out of the pan when draining as well...what does an addative like SeaFoam do to the engine gaskets, bearings, or other internals???:hmm:

seafoam eats the oil up and supposedly cleans the crap off the crankcase... but seeing as how expensive this stuff is, I rather use a dedicated motor flush such as BG Quick Clean and use all of it for the intake cleaning

I use this do do my seafoaming:
DSC_3862.jpg

It is really handy and I don't have to worry about hydrolocking the motor... it has a restrictor in it that prevents the cleaner from being sucked in too fast.... a slow clean is always better than a fast clean... it takes a good 5-10 minutes for me to run through a bottle of seafoam

the seafoam bottle won't screw into the tool (too big) so I just keep reusing those subaru bottles (the wynns and wurth ones also fit) by pouring the seafoam into the empty bottle

the engine DOES run way better now, it idles just like off the showroom again, the power is back, and I can just press the throttle lightly to cruise or accelerate.... it also dieseled for a good 5 seconds when I shut it off for a 20 minute seafoam soak too, but only one time did it do that

I ended up running 1 bottle of that subaru carbon clean garbage, and 3 cans of seafoam through the intake... yeah, I lost track of the bottles and it got out of hand :D as they always say, too much is enough!

Does seafoam work better than most other intake cleaners? Yes. Is it the best? No. I still prefer GM Top Engine cleaner hands down, but I'm too lazy to go to a chevy dealer to get it.... not when seafoam is buy 2 get 1 free at oreily's right now :)

Oh yeah, here's proof it works from my 7A-FE (I got it to barely pass after seafoaming, hand cleaning the intake system, and tweaking the timing a bit):
DSC_3843.jpg

My father always said: "All fuel and engine additives work absolutely well......

....for the cash flow of the manufacturer!

My father always said: "All fuel and engine additives work absolutely well......

....for the cash flow of the manufacturer!

Sure, but have you tried it?

I first started using it in 2-strokes. Then I inherited a '79 F150 from my wife's grandparents. . .an old farm truck that ran like crap. Seafoamed the carb and it made a world of difference, in smoothness and power.

I'm not an additives kind of guy. But I don't mind enhancing the SeaFoam bottom line once in a while.

I just seafoamed my truck for the first time after some major engine issues and can say wow what a improvement.
I never used it before and only wish I had on some other vehicles I had.

i love the stuff personally. it turned my CEL off, and got me snappier throttle respnse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom