Land Rover Scotch Brite Ball for 2F crosshatch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, general question, could not find anything in any search so here goes, I'm doing a "freshening" on a 2F before it goes in a rig, Pulled it apart and found It had a bent lift rod and one broken ring, everything else looks good and I mean really good. My thought is to do the top end, replace the rings and rod bearings since I'm there. To take the glaze off, put crosshatch in the cylinders for the ring job, I have a flat hone, don't really want to use it as they are kind of aggressive. So why not one of those 180 grit spongy ball deals? They are 4 inches across, fit on a drill, CHEAP and perfect for the 3.7 plus bore. Anyone have experience with this. You can't rent the flex ball hones and they cost 100$ or so, don't want to spend bucks on this tool right now.
Thx in advance for meaningful input.

I used a flex hone on my 2F when I rebuilt it, seemed to work great.

PM me if you want to borrow it.

So, general question, could not find anything in any search so here goes, I'm doing a "freshening" on a 2F before it goes in a rig, Pulled it apart and found It had a bent lift rod and one broken ring, everything else looks good and I mean really good. My thought is to do the top end, replace the rings and rod bearings since I'm there. To take the glaze off, put crosshatch in the cylinders for the ring job, I have a flat hone, don't really want to use it as they are kind of aggressive. So why not one of those 180 grit spongy ball deals? They are 4 inches across, fit on a drill, CHEAP and perfect for the 3.7 plus bore. Anyone have experience with this. You can't rent the flex ball hones and they cost 100$ or so, don't want to spend bucks on this tool right now.
Thx in advance for meaningful input.
Been there done that, get after it and get your job done if you have not already

Well, I a I actually did try to use the 180 grit ball didn’t work out so well for two reasons number one right diameter the ball was such that it fit too tightly in the cylinder and then the shaft started spinning in the ball. It wasn’t designed to have that much tension put on it apparently so that didn’t work out. A smaller ball I think it would’ve worked just fine. I did end up getting my hands on a ball hone and I did them, now just waiting for it to warm up so I can go out and work in the garage don’t really feel like trying to heat it up when it’s 17 below zero, the problem is and it’s not really a problem but it’s 30 x 40 with a 12 foot ceiling takes a lot of heat. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom