School me on UTV/SxS, ready to pull the trigger on one... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mtbcoach

Threads
Before I do, please educate me on them. I’ve done my best to learn off of Google University, have confidence in my research but...nothing like first hand experience.

Now that I’m fully retired, living on my little piece of dirt, I need a utility vehicle for my property. Very jealous of Stan’s new tractor, I’m not sure I’m ready to pull the trigger yet on such a dedicated piece of equipment. But, having a capable UTV will go a long way in my clean up and work needed around my property.

Can’t decide between the Kawasaki Mule w/Yanmar diesel or Polaris Ranger considering their diesel but it’s a Kohler engine. Big issue is Mule has no front locker while Ranger is an “AWD”. Yet, aftermarket support for Ranger’s is huge, it has a higher output alternator for running accessories, better performance and all things point to getting a Ranger.

But, Mule comes with 3 year warranty and Yanmar diesel and had great reviews as being the work/farm vehicle of choice.

All comments welcome. Found a Mule in SC for $11.2k, Ranger’s more like $13k...Thanks for your input...

Yes,Polaris have a huge market share but they do have quality issues as well. Google Polaris Recalls and look at the list of models that have issues.

That said, they are nice. From what you are describing, it sounds like you are looking more for utility use. I would look hard at Can-Am general and Honda Pioneer as well.

I chose the Pioneer 1000 myself as it is the only one out there that does not have a belt driven transmission. It is also sporty enough for some trail riding. I have a 1000-5 which can seat 5 but isn’t a mile long. The early models like mine have had a few clutch issues but Honda has developed a fix and all ‘18 models have the new parts. And Honda is retrofitting all of the old machines at no cost through Sept 2020 I think.

My suggestion is to go ride all of them .... and choose the one you like best.

AC72CCA5-3FB7-4F7D-949D-11D46D069F78.jpeg
D7F95356-AE01-44FE-9B5B-6ED300CB3336.jpeg

What's the local dealer support for both? That could be a deciding factor in itself.

@elkaholic thanks for the feedback. Yes, I looked at the Honda specifically due to the gear driven drivetrain instead of the belt-driven others. The main reason Honda is 3rd is due to the bed/seating situation. I’ll be using the bed way more than carrying 5 people and would prefer a better work bed situation but it’s certainly not out of the running. I did look at the Can-Ams also, similar to Polaris in features and aftermarket support.

@S4Cruiser the Polaris is sketchy where the Kawasaki has more dealers locally, plus the Kawasaki has a 3 year warranty.

Wish there was a decent dealership around, seems like I need to drive to W-S, Charlotte or VA, RDU is weak.

And, as my unidentified caller who called me out after reading the post pointed out to me, I rarely leave things stock and this vehicle has a great probability of being modified to be a trail ready vehicle as well as a work vehicle. So, I can’t lie in that accessories/attachments will include a winch, snow plow, flat-bed trailer, and renting many pull-behind accessories like brush cutter, tiller, chipper, sprayer, luckily, we have a well equipped rental yard very close by so I won’t have to buy a bunch of accessories.

For a slightly different perspective and speaking from personal experience, I'm a big Kubota fan. I own a Kubota tractor for farm use and have lots of time in a Kubota UTV at elk camp. Their UTVs are unbelievably tough work horses. The model we use, the RTV900, surprises me every year with its capability to do heavy duty off-road work in difficult conditions.

And, as mentioned above, if you're looking for a non-belt driven transmission, the Kubota does not have a belt driven transmission either.

This may help from a high level comparison, at least help look at stats in one place:

https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/defa...pdfs/rtvxseriescompspdf.pdf?sfvrsn=59c30ffc_2

I would agree with previous comments to go visit some dealers and operate several to see what feels best to you. Good luck!

For a slightly different perspective and speaking from personal experience, I'm a big Kubota fan. I own a Kubota tractor for farm use and have lots of time in a Kubota UTV at elk camp. Their UTVs are unbelievably tough work horses. The model we use, the RTV900, surprises me every year with its capability to do heavy duty off-road work in difficult conditions.

And, as mentioned above, if you're looking for a non-belt driven transmission, the Kubota does not have a belt driven transmission either.

This may help from a high level comparison, at least help look at stats in one place:

https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/defa...pdfs/rtvxseriescompspdf.pdf?sfvrsn=59c30ffc_2

I would agree with previous comments to go visit some dealers and operate several to see what feels best to you. Good luck!

Couldn’t agree more with Andy. I used a Kubota UTV for a while and it was awesome.

@cruiser4life thanks for your feedback and reference. Sorry to see the Kubota data so dated or mistaken. The newer Mule diesels are Yanmar while the Ranger diesels are Kohler built. Regardless, it gives me comparison to use with updated Mule/Ranger specs.

Yes, sorry to not state the obvious, I have put seat time in many, being an Athletic Trainer, we typically live in/on a Gator and/or Club Cadet golf cart of some variation. I’ve visited the major dealers, sitting in most but a Kubota.

Can Am defender is nice, strong contender, Commander is neat option but not work ready enough for my needs
Polaris Ranger is very nice, probably would go with gas version due to performance (diesel a Kohler built with unknown history) and options for upgrade to trail-ready rig as well as work rig, has bigger alternator (110a), comfortable seats, less equipped off the showroom so need to immediately invest in upgrades
Honda Pioneer is very nice, prefer the gear driven drivetrain, performance very strong, less work ready as Ranger but surely workable, would probably wind up heavily modified for trail use
Kawasaki Mule is very functional, work ready off the shelf and Yanmar diesel a big plus, least trail ready, less options for upgrades

Had Polaris dealer start gas next to diesel to see what sound difference was side-by-side (ha ha) no real difference other than “type” of sound, have not done same for Mule yet.

If I was making the sensible decision, it’s easy and get the Mule as a work vehicle, yet, I can’t help but look to be talked out of being sensible when my wife isn’t looking...

Never owned one but rode in a few but out west in the sand so that experience may not really help you for the type of riding you will be doing with it here. I am a big fan of the fit, feel and performance of the Polaris on these and their quads.

My suggestion would be ride/drive as many as you can to see which fits you better.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I couldn't say for sure whether the data is accurate or not, I've never researched the other UTV offerings. The thinking was that link may provide some value for you with a quick comparison of pertinent data points already collected and organized.

One other comment, the Kubota may be too work oriented for your objectives. The fun, let's go ride fast on the trails quotient really isn't there. You mentioned spending time in Club Cadet golf carts, the Kubota is kind of the far end of the spectrum in the other direction. Overbuilt, heavy, unstoppable and slow. Kind of like my 80... :hillbilly:

Though while we're on golf carts, our neighbor at elk camp has a Bad Boy Buggy. No fuel and 4WD. Different work class than the Kubota but after watching him use it for chores around his property and then fly around (it moves!) with his family of four, I have been looking for a used one for a while now. I believe Bad Boy Buggy has been acquired by Textron who is growing / changing the lineup. I looked at a few @ Bass Pro the other day. Nice vehicles too.

76BAC595-5CCD-4336-8189-BA8C2BBD19F1.jpeg

This is my Athletic Trainer’s golf cart pre-customizations (added wrap around/drop down rack and padded seat on bed for treatments), had it built to handle curbs and the DA XC course and fields. Love it, served me well yet no where near the capabilities I need for my new digs.

Truth be told, in a couple years, probably have an old golf cart, UTV and sub-compact 4WD tractor, trying to negotiate with Regina which to buy first. She is voting to just go for tractor but my current needs are more geared toward hauling, cleanup and firewood, fence mending and misc upkeep.

I’m not ruling anything out right now, the Mahindra Retriever looks like a contender also but I’ve not seen one first hand.

Yet, price driven thinking has me back on rigs I can find under $12k, I need to speak to a Kubota and Mahindra sales rep to see where dealers stand on MSRP and if there are any deals to be had. Thanks again for the feedback...

If Honda is even remotely in the mix, reach out to Kevin at Honda of Chattanooga. He made it worth my while (and a few others I know) to drive from the CLT area there to buy .....

Little different approach, but is being marketed as a SxS

Mahindra Roxor
mahindra-roxor_100644878_h.jpg

It is basically an old school jeep with a twist. Full frame, Diesel engine, 5spd, solid axles, leaf springs, etc. More utility than sport, but d@mn cool little concept

ROXOR | Mahindra Automotive North America

0064D184-A982-445B-A220-C01375968741.jpeg
6FA51425-3CEF-42AD-B846-4FF7D802604C.jpeg

After way too much research and debate, I couldn’t resist the deal I found on this ‘17 Honda Pioneer. This thing is way too much fun, will makw a great work rig around our new place and surely be modified to be taken on the trail for fun.

I did catch that on one of the discussion boards, I’d go if I had a reasonable way to transport it...

We will miss you there .... those guys are almost as rabid about this stuff as cruiserheads....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom