School me on Charleston, SC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Even I've heard to stay away from Bessinger's BBQ and I'm all the way up in MA. Everyone knows that Famous Dave's is much better.:grinpimp:

Who? Must not be too famous.

I think we need just a bit more instigation to get this thread really rolling. I for one have gotten some good laughs out of it. :hillbilly:

On a serious note, it's good to know cruiser guys are the same anywhere in the country. The thought of moving to a new state and uprooting our lives is much easier knowing that there are assholes with the same attitude and problems as me in virtually any city I go to. I truly thank you guys for that.

(how was that for instigating?)

It is true that there really isn't any good bbq around here. There is one place that's in a trailer in the woods about 2.5 hours from here that is amazing though. The same joint also has a small stand inside a liquor store about 2 hours from here which I've road-tripped to for work. Southern cooking will be a fun adventure as it;s mostly seafood here and I hate seafood.

LOL...we rib eachother but BBQBoys family has made bbq in the state for many many years...decades even. There is lots of good BBQ around...one of which is his but I like a couple others too.

Kind of like cars.....you like Vettes but also can appreciate a good driving Porcshe or Camaro or Bugatti....takes all types to put a smile on your face.

We are also big on seafood here but lots of it fried or raw....we just had oyster roast on Sunday...nothing more fun than having a yankee slurp down a raw oyster with hot sauce. But I digress.....

Getting rid of the horrible Boston accent....saying Ya'll, eating shrimp and grits, and driving a Land Cruiser are all ways of fitting in better. You got one covered the rest remain to be seen...

:D :D

Do you like "Apple Pie"????

Lost my accent a long time ago. I Sound normal now.

I like apple pie but not sure why you put it in quotes unless it's some secret southern code thing. An oyster is my worst nightmare.

I've never seen grits (no idea what the hell they actually are) and I've never, ever laughed at anything Larry the Cable Guy or Jeff Foxworthy has ever said. Might be a rough transition. Maybe I will stay here......

Y'all play nice now, ya' hear!!!!!:clap::clap:

don't want the guy to come visit and then be shocked by our show of brotherly kindness....LOL Honestly we get along great....we just argue and rib each other like we are related or like old people. LOL

It's the same thing here in the Yankee Toys club with the ribbing and general ballbusting. We're thinking of heading down in 3 weeks....little family road trip

Don't feel bad. I grew up in the south and cant give an honest scientific answer to what a grit really is. All you need to know is they are best serverd with shrimp and brown gravy!

As for apple pie you'll just have to figure it out in person!

Don't feel bad. I grew up in the south and cant give an honest scientific answer to what a grit really is. All you need to know is they are best serverd with shrimp and brown gravy!

As for apple pie you'll just have to figure it out in person!

Are you serious? It's ground up corn. Your Southern rights have been taken away for a while. No more oyster roast for you.

Anyone that watched "My Cousin Vinny" should know too. Classic. :lol:

You guys are a bunch of funny fxxxers....

I guess we're renting an RV (very Southern thing to do BTW) and going from boston-philly-DC-Charlotte-Atlanta-Savannah-Charleston-OBX- Boston. Should be exhausting and I quit Skoal a year ago after 15 years of lip rot. A road trip is the perfect thing for a relapse.

My kid is 3, my wife is laid off, I can take time off easily so I think this will be a once in a lifetime trip, regardless of whether we move South or not. I have friends in most of these spots.

I'll either be elated or divorced by the end of this journey.

Luckily, the RV will have a toilet for me for the long drive home after I stop at BBQBoy's "food" joint for a colon cleaning "pig" sandwich. (tee hee)

Anyone have any sweet RV park recommendations??

KOA's are fairly cheap and are everywhere

KOA in Ladson is Crap, dunno about the one is MT.P, there is another RV park South of 526 on 17 that alot of the contractors at work talk about

I'm no Charlestonian, just an old hillbilly. But I love the coast because I'm also a sailor.
Charleston comes with the deal. They call it the Holy City and you'll know why.

They believe the Ashley and Cooper River flow together to form the Atlantic Ocean.

It is a beautiful town though and the folks are tolerable if you understand them and, well, tolerate their idosyncracies.

I just finished a book that's a love letter to Charleston, and fairly readable as well: South of Broad by Pat Conroy. Conroy is love him or hate him. He has his flaws. This one seems to me to be his best.
Be that as it may the descriptions of the town and the types of people are spot on and should be required reading for anyone considering moving there.

Welcome aboard if you come. We only hate yankees that act like yankees. If you ever realize that we actually won by surrendering so you would go home you'll begin to understand.
Who ever heard of anyone retiring to the north?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom