School me on Charleston, SC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Flipper

Master of Nothing
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rinnadvisors.com
Hey!

Wife got laid off today. my job is crap. We've been talking about moving South and most of our friend's favorite city is Charleston. How is the job market there? What are some of the bigger companies that have offices or headquartered there? My wife is (was) a marketing director at the Staples HQ here in MA. I'm in sales so I can get a sales job fairly easily. How is the cost of living? What are the negatives about Charleston?

Might come down for a visit in the next few weeks.

Thanks!
John

In my opinion Charleston has not taken a hit in the housing or job market as bad as some other areas though there have been some layoffs at larger companies and some closings as are common across the country now...also we are primarily a service industry for tourism down here and are a RIGHT TO WORK state so no real union influence...so here are some things I have noticed:

1. A couple larger companies like Bosch, Google, Verizon, Cummins, Blackbaud, Mercedes are in local area
2. Boeing is moving a second assembly line for the Dreamliner here with ground breaking starting by first of year with operation in 2011 commencing.
3. Dept of Def is large employer with Naval Weapons Station, Charleston AFB and Space and Warfare System Center Atlantic (SPAWAR LANT) also in area.

Cost of living is not bad at all....cost of housing is really high though even with the market downturn. Just my 2 cents.

Not a lot of manufacturing or other work in area...mostly Defense or Tourism related for most part in my opinion. Lots worse areas for cost of living that I have lived.....and for jobs so it boils down to what you are looking for....and your priorities. People I know from Wash, VA, MD and further northeast think it is cheap to live down here. Must be reason so many are retiring here.

Plus we need another Pig in our club...we have Stu with his newly restored blue and white pig in our club....and then Heather with her red and creme in Upstate club...so come on down. :)

Last edited:
I personally think you over pay for housing in charleston and the job market sucks. If you are in he medical field it is not that bad. The defense sector is good but those jobs are hard to get if you are not ex military or have a technical degree

Stay where you are. We don't want anymore damn yankees.

I don't know why he says that Yankees are his beat customers
Pfftt. This business was founded by southerners and made successful by southerners. Since the Yankee migration these past years I get nothing but Yankees walking through the doors offending everyone including me. I have told many of them to get the hell out and go back up North.

Housing is steep in Charleston but alot more affordable in towns like Summerville and Goose Creek. (short commute) If you drive a land cruiser you must be smarter than most of the "offenders" BBQ Boy speaks of so well give you the benifit of the doubt. I think the "post and courier" (local paper) has the classifieds on line. Might be a good place to check jobs and housing pricing. Dont expect to make a whole lot. The pay scale here might not be what you had up there.

Besides Charleston is beautiful and has lots of history, its where the Ashley and Cooper Rivers come together to form the Atlantic ocean and where the War of Northern Aggression started!:)

Last edited:
Our secret is finally out. The Yankees have finally figured out that screwed them 150 years ago. They all went back North and left us alone God's Country. We kept the gold mine and they went back home to the shaft.

Rather be dead than live in Florida. I've heard nothing but good things about SC. Wifey's the big corporate type so it's her caliber job I'm worried about finding for her. I sell booze so I can get a job anywhere. Looking for better weather and easier way of life. Anything is less expensive than Boston (except SF and NYC)

As for the Yankee thing, I take that as a full compliment (although I am a Red Sox fan.) I can't think of a single person I know that gets offended by being called a Yankee. We think it's cute.

Most Northerners can sense the sensitive types like BBQBoy and usually commence with the ball busting and sarcasm. We smell blood in the water and act like jackasses just to piss other people off. It's more of an art really. I'll be happy to demonstrate this to BBQBoy when we become neighbors and bestest of friends!

Meanwhile, might do a road trip with the family in December (not in the 55 unfortunately) to do a tour of the South and visit relatives in GA. If I do I'll post up when I'm in the hood so maybe I can meet up for beers and some bbq with some of you guys....

Thanks for all the input. If anyone knows any good recruiters down there, we'd love to talk with them.

Hahaha. That was cute jsaltlickmy***.

Well, now I am starting to enjoy the written quips on this thread. Need to instigate a little more. jsaltlick I hope you know that we are having fun at your expense but you are holding your own. LOL
Never met a Yankee that wasn't proud of it. Worked with one for 10 years before he passed away. He married a Southern Belle in the service and moved to SC. He lived here for over 30 years and to the day he died he was still a Yankee. He nickname at work was Damn Yankee. Old Jerry mollowed out some in his later years but the Yankee would still come out of him quite regularly. He was one hardheaded SOB.

Also for an added bonus I have included a link for a song that will help you out if you do indeed move down South.

Michael Reno Harrell, Americana, Supersonic EPK - Sonicbids

Click the link and listen to the second song, "Southern Suggestions". The singers Southern country voice my not be to your taste since you are a Yankee. :cheers:

Also for an added bonus I have included a link for a song that will help you out if you do indeed move down South.

Michael Reno Harrell, Americana, Supersonic EPK - Sonicbids

Click the link and listen to the second song, "Southern Suggestions". The singers Southern country voice my not be to your taste since you are a Yankee. :cheers:
I enjoyed that. Thanks.
Hey Yank Listen to "A Country Boy Can Survive" by Hanks Williams jr.

I didn't take any of these posts as anything but good ole ballbusting. No worries here.

Great song. Great lyrics. but you're right, the voice and accent sounds like someone is hitting a baby with a cat.

I'll be happy to demonstrate this to BBQBoy when we become neighbors and bestest of friends!

Meanwhile, might do a road trip with the family in December (not in the 55 unfortunately) to do a tour of the South and visit relatives in GA. If I do I'll post up when I'm in the hood so maybe I can meet up for beers and some bbq with some of you guys....
I know a good corporate recruiter in Wash DC that might have some accounts for peers that handle this area if intersted...shoot me a PM.

As for the BBQ...let me recommend HOME TEAM BBQ or Maurices BBQ in Columbia......stay far away from the BBQ of Bessinger family offerings. LOL :D :D:flipoff2::flipoff2::hillbilly:

I know a good corporate recruiter in Wash DC that might have some accounts for peers that handle this area if intersted...shoot me a PM.

As for the BBQ...let me recommend HOME TEAM BBQ or Maurices BBQ in Columbia......stay far away from the BBQ of Bessinger family offerings. LOL :D :D:flipoff2::flipoff2::hillbilly:

the gloves are off!!!!!!

Even I've heard to stay away from Bessinger's BBQ and I'm all the way up in MA. Everyone knows that Famous Dave's is much better.:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom