Scenic Canadian Rockies wheeling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, not sure if I'm posting in the correct Alberta Cruiser chapter or not, but here goes nothing. I've been trying to do some of my own research regarding any interesting trails/mountains/lakes/falls/ghost towns in the Canadian Rocky Mountains, haven't found a whole ton of information though so I'd like to ask you guys since you're local to the area. I've seen alot of neat pics on the net of wheeling around Ouray, Colorado (think Black Bear Pass) and I want to do more wheeling like that, but I live in NW BC so it's quite a drive just to get as far as CO. I have a friend in Alberta who passed up the name "Nordegg, AB" in conversation a while back and said that there's some interesting country around those parts. Can anyone comment on the country around that area or is there better wheeling to be had elsewhere in the Rockies? Cheers

For some awesome winter wheeling the Ruby Falls trail is pretty good. Nordegg doesn't have the most scenic stuff. Crowsnest Pass has really scenic summer wheeling. There are some pretty decent trails around for sure.

Depends what you mean by "better" wheeling. "Better" depends on many factors, including how/what you are driving, or simply what turns your crank. Ruby Falls is a good one, some excellent views. The falls themself are a valuable experience. Running, or frozen. Waiparous Falls trail isn't bad either, although it is much more heavily traveled. I feel there are alot more well known trails down south where as around Nordegg, the trails that exist are tough to find. All the ones I know of I would never have found unless someone had shown me. Some are very rugged indeed. Although situated in SW BC coastal mountains rather than the rockies, the molybdenite ridge trail is still one of the most visually astounding runs I have been on, while being accessible to just about anything with a transfer case. The ridge itself, and a beautiful high altitude lake make it one to remember. The hardest part is not driving off the edge while gawking at everything around you. Its also fairly close to whipsaw.

I live 1hour east of nordegg. There is indeed some beautiful places to go around there but what makes it difficult is albertas land use rules. Generally speaking, anywhere west of the foresty trunk road (hwy 40) you are not allowed to drive a truck off of a maintained road. This is because of "forest land use zones" also known as a fluz. There are always exceptions to the rules (ruby falls) so in reality and legally, nordegg is as far west as we can drive our trucks, and anywhere east of nordegg is cut lines and mud holes. You can drive in a fluz with a sxs with snorkels, a turbo, 34" paddle tires 6" lift and a lead foot but you cant take an old cruiser on "31 tires because we cause too much damage. They had to draw the line somewhere and on highway vehicles are on the wrong side of that line.

Ive often wondered if in order for us to access the really pretty places we may need to work with atv clubs and offer our trucks service for a weekend and (for example) haul in supplies to build a bridge which would be difficult to do with atvs. Maybe bring a srd offical along so they can oversee the amount of damage we actually cause and possibly get things moving towards making new trails for trucks. But thats another thread.

Sorry for the hijack,
Jon thats probably not a bad plan at all in all honesty. Problem is that the trucks are banned because of the hillbilly jackasses who do wreck everything... Not saying there isnt any of those kinds of people on sxs's though. ;)

Depends what you mean by "better" wheeling. "Better" depends on many factors, including how/what you are driving, or simply what turns your crank. Ruby Falls is a good one, some excellent views. The falls themself are a valuable experience. Running, or frozen. Waiparous Falls trail isn't bad either, although it is much more heavily traveled. I feel there are alot more well known trails down south where as around Nordegg, the trails that exist are tough to find. All the ones I know of I would never have found unless someone had shown me. Some are very rugged indeed. Although situated in SW BC coastal mountains rather than the rockies, the molybdenite ridge trail is still one of the most visually astounding runs I have been on, while being accessible to just about anything with a transfer case. The ridge itself, and a beautiful high altitude lake make it one to remember. The hardest part is not driving off the edge while gawking at everything around you. Its also fairly close to whipsaw.

Thanks, Jeremy. I have been checking out info on the Whipsaw and also came across the Molybdenite Peak, certainly does look fantastic. I am trying to find some more info on any Crowsnest Pass wheelin', went to the local bookstore and took a quick peek in one of the Backroads Mapbooks for the Kootenay-Rockies region of BC, it showed a large amount of mining roads near a place called Elkford which is just this side of the Continental Divide. Anybody got some more suggestions? I'm thinking there's no way I'd be able to cover this amount of ground in one trip...gonna have holidays planned for years!

Lots to see around crowsnest, alot of very solid old roads almost always leading to alititude and views I'd expect. I've only been on a couple, but they were certainly enjoyable, low worries backcountry driving providing the kind of campsites some people will never experience.

Speaking of elkford, I've only been there once, and a couple years ago. Truck was alot shinier then lol. I had no particular plan, it was sometime in the spring. Followed a random logging road as far as I could.
IMGP0157.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom