scariness ensues... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.iluvrocks.com
*insert hi suspense horor movie music*
74 harness.JPG

yup. repairing the original.
gotta find a source for the .250 blade connectors in the plugs though.....
thought I had that one worked out, but they don't lock in place right. :rolleyes:

most of the *outside* connectors under the hood will be replaced with weatherpack unless they mate to something that doesn't allow it.

rear harness (tailights, reverse switch, fuel gauge etc) will be ALL new from the cowel quick connects back :D

.... I couldn't believe how much electrical tape is used on a harness....

... oh.... and I found the short in my dash illumination circuit..... The one I've been chasing since I GOT the 40... someone plugged one of the dash light +12v and -12v(ground) bullet connectors together :mad: :mad: :mad:

THAT might cause a short... :rolleyes:

Chris,

Make sure you do yours the same way my PO did - everything in blue wire. It's sooooo much simpler that way!

no way man!!!

I shelled out big $$$$ on good SXL auto wire in Red, Black, Blue, Green, Yellow, and White...
I also bought industrial paint markers in all the colors so I can stripe them properly.

factory color codes are the ONLY way to go man!!! :D

check out the new rear harness so far!
(this is the end that connects to the main harness at the cowel)
P1010823.JPG

Waaaaay too tacky with all those different colors. All I can say is clash, clash, clash!

Bob, now I know why you won't trade your blue airhose for my red one - you want to keep it so that it matches your wiring. :D :D

76FJ40 said:
Waaaaay too tacky with all those different colors. All I can say is clash, clash, clash!

old man..... have a beer and try not to fall into the fire!

:grinpimp:

Thanks, don't mind if I do!

coming along OK...

...seeing colors and stripes in my sleep though.....
...and my hands are raw from about 500 crimps....

I try to get some pics

OK, rear harness is finished and installed except for rear marker lights in the quarters (which I have to cut out of the diamond plate before installing)

Everything brand new. Nothing re-used! (not much left past the transmission anyway... :rolleyes:)

everything weatherpack connectors. I'll change install a connector on the new reverse switch when I get it.

tow harness is integrated and ready to go! (...if I ever get a hitch of some kind...)

front harness is coming along...
p1010825.JPG
P1010824.JPG
P1010826.JPG

Very nice work. I guess those 90° thingies clamp together over the joint? I got to do a small amount of harness making when I did the front elocker.

WOO HOOO!!!!!!
she's a runnin!!!!!

everything is working..... except for the hazzard lights :mad:
I have no clue why..... I'll have to check the power going to that circuit. Only thing I can think of....

anyway, now have nice BRIGHT taillights, brake lights, turn signals, and....... *drumroll* REVERSE LIGHTS!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:
I also fixed, and hooked up the horn button on the GT steering wheel. I have a HORN now!! *toot! toot!* I no longer have that horrible auto parts button clamped around the steering column :D

MSD is mounted properly which has needed to be done for..... oh..... a year and a half maybe?!? :rolleyes:

All new weatherpack on almost everything. Loomed, run nice.
Newyly pained dash looks SWEET! I scrubbed the lower pads with pine sol and rubbed them with olive oil and soaked them overnight twice. They look almost NEW! :eek:
haven't done anything with the top pad.... pretty bad shape...
pay no attention to the steering colum.... it hasn't been cleaned up yet!

I even have the little light for the defrost lever now!!!!! :bounce: (see it in the last pic???)
The red and white wires that are hanging there are for the dash pad light that Im going to have to fab up.
P1010849.JPG
dash 1.jpg
dash 2.jpg

Last edited:
Everything from Waytekwire
Go to their website and browse their catalog. Toys! Toys! Toys!
it's in PDF form

Some of the wire I ordered from Delcity because they allowed minimun 100ft rolls as opposed to the Waytek 250ft

EXCELLANT job Chris. Someone needs to Four star this post. Chris do you think you could come up with a parts list for you wiring harness? I took out the 79fj40's harness. I labeled every end to where it goes. Was thinking of useing it for my 1972Fj40, But after seeing your harness and being weather proof, Id rather build yours.
Thanks Chris for the pics and ideas.

rear harness was ALL new, but the main cowel harness was *modified*. It wasn't practical to put delphi on everything (hazard, fan switches, connectors to brake switch, steering colum etc) but I ran new wire and new terminals inside the OEM connectors I did keep :D

Use your old harness as a pattern and change each wire one at a time to be SURE you don't mess something up. I pulled 2 wires at once early in the project and THAT got me all confused and not sure. You end up spending like 20-30min looking over the wiring diagram (which is mainly helpfull for confusing the heck out of you :D) and trying to remember what went where.
After that I changed ONLY one wire at a time :D

BTW: I just wanted to mention that before, I would have a noticable voltage drop at idle when headlights were on with fan and turn signals etc. You could SEE the lights dim. I even had/have retrofitted 'SUV lights' harness to the headlights. but the turn signals would flash a LOT slower unless you idled up to about 1000 RPM (500 RPM idle)
This was all AFTER I put the ~100 amp delco alt in. It was way worse before.

Now.... that being said!!!

With the totally new 14ga wire everywhere and GOOD connections (weatherpack or freshened OEM) I can now have ALL the accessories on (headlights, fan, wipers, and turnsignals) and there is no noticable difference in speed or brightness between 500RPM and 2000 RPM :D

Makes me wonder how much of the *charging* issues we all have is more due to crappy, undersized, corroded, and hacked OEM wiring as opposed to the alternator.

40amps (or 60 or whatever factory was) is still just not enough though....

Oh yea.... and for your viewing pleasure:
attachment.php

Anyone recognize these???? do you know how to get them out of your old quick connectors?

Spade connectors, male and female. There is a small tab that must be pressed in to slide them out of their respective housing. Never have seen them in a chain before. Only bulk or in "paper dolly" form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom