say no to the twin stick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My truck had the plate already removed (there was a genius PO some years back), I am so lucky :bounce:

I use 2Lo when all the 80s in front of me keep pushing on and I would lose the group if I got out and had to spend time to lock the hubs :D

I wheel at altitude a lot . 2 wheel low shure helps. Cheaper than a bowtie transplant.

One of my PO's pulled the plate as well.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the mod, but I have to replace my shift linkage now because the joints all literally wore out. The ball came out of the socket.

I'm just going to buy the twin stick.

i hear the shift pattern get pretty worn out without the plate??

Does the twin stick allow use of the front axle only? If not, I would just pull the plate or drive an old vacuum operated cruiser.......

V-DAWG said:
Does the twin stick allow use of the front axle only? If not, I would just pull the plate or drive an old vacuum operated cruiser.......
No. The rear OP shaft is always engaged, except in neutral of course.

I had to go with the twin stick when I added the Toy box, I played around with mods to the existing linkage for a couple of weeks befor I broke down and bought the twin stick from AA.

rsc71 said:
i hear the shift pattern get pretty worn out without the plate??

Welcome.

Provided you install a washer, or stack of them of similar thickness to the plate that you remove, on the end of the shift shaft pivot, this will not have any effect on the slop in the shifter.

Majority of the vagueness that is inherent with the original three-speed and earlier four- speed transfer case shifter is from poor design and having too many wear/pivot points to generate the slop found in them.

:beer:

DSRTRDR said:
My truck had the plate already removed (there was a genius PO some years back), I am so lucky :bounce:

I use 2Lo when all the 80s in front of me keep pushing on and I would lose the group if I got out and had to spend time to lock the hubs :D

And here I thought the 80s just did that to me!:crybaby:

BTW, what's a floorshifter?:flipoff2:

exactly what i did to mine, my shifter is tighter than before when i was using the plate ,it used to vibrate and rattle all the time ,now with a few washers on there it is smooth and rattle free .
Poser said:
Provided you install a washer, or stack of them of similar thickness to the plate that you remove, on the end of the shift shaft pivot, this will not have any effect on the slop in the shifter.

I definitely agree, I got the twin stick kit from AA.
Could you tell me what kit you bought from AA , I have a 76 FJ40 with stock 4 speed and stock transfer case , i cant seem to figure out what kit i need

Thanks Robb

any chance this could work on a fj 60 have not had time to look?
thanks

x2 would be nice to be able to throw a aussie up front as well and not have to worry as much about turning or popping stock birfs

mine is a 84 i know in 85 they had a spacer or does it even matter?

if it can be done this will be my next free mod at work.

Could you tell me what kit you bought from AA , I have a 76 FJ40 with stock 4 speed and stock transfer case , i cant seem to figure out what kit i need

Thanks Robb

Call AA and they will tell you which kit you will need. I believe they all cost the same, just have a few minor parts differences.

Why didn't Toyota just make 2wd Low possible :confused:

They did, on the older 3 speed cases. Front driveshaft is vacuum actuated, independent of the mechanical linkage low-range selector, which allows 2wd Lo.

This also provides for shift on the fly 4wd Hi if your hubs are already engaged. Extremely convenient for on-pavement driving in inclement weather.

Actually, it was NOT possible even on the older vacuum-actuated front drives. There was a mechanism on the hi-n-lo lever that automatically actuated the front drive when you moved from hi to lo.

Correct.

Shift on the fly is also possible with the floor shift controlled transfer case.....

x2 would be nice to be able to throw a aussie up front as well and not have to worry as much about turning or popping stock birfs

mine is a 84 i know in 85 they had a spacer or does it even matter?

if it can be done this will be my next free mod at work.

Stock fing birfs will fail....this will not prevent that...keeping the truck on pavement and not using the front axle is about the only thing that will prevent the fing birf from failing. :)

This mod can be done to your shift gate/bracket as well.

Just out of curiosity, what would the effective shift pattern be? I'm having trouble visualizing this right now. I've never had a twin stick setup. I might do this tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom