SOLD Santa Fe, NM: 1989 FJ62, 190k

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
Gray
Selling my 1989 62, 190k mi, located in Santa Fe, NM. Asking $16,500. Will likely try to list on Bring a Trailer, but would love to sell it to a fellow mudder, and decided to list it here first.

IMG_0036.jpeg

I am going to make every attempt to overdisclose (not a word) everything with this truck. I want the next owner to enjoy it as much as I did.

I purchased this cruiser from a family friend in early 2018, It had been sitting for years. Prior to that it had been owned by my friend, his cousin, and the original owner. Original owner was in CA, cousin was in AZ, friend was in NM. I have the CarFax that confirms this.

I began a build thread on mud. Its not up to date or complete but you can view that thread here.

Since my ownership, a list of what I have done to the truck, much of which is detailed in the thread. I have an excel sheet with all parts numbers and approximate dates that I did the work, and receipts of the work that was done in the shop:

2018:
  • Fuel Pump
  • Rear dome light
  • Washer Fluid Reservoir + Pump
  • Rear Hatch Struts
  • Power Antenna

2019:
  • Fan Clutch
  • Thermostat
  • Rear brake drum rebuild
  • 4Runner Wiper Arms
  • Touchscreen headunit, new speakers (original radio will come with the truck but it was only working like 50% of the time when I removed it)

2020:
  • Installed new Carpet
  • 4wd trans rebuild by Toy Auto Masters in Denver, CO
  • Fuel Pressure regulator replacement by Toy Auto Masters
  • 2in Ironman Foam Cell Pro Medium lift kit including non inversion shakles
  • Air Conditioning converted to R134 by Maxair Colorado

2021:
  • Door vinyl refresh and driver seat refresh (new foam and fabric) by Colorado Seat Treat
  • New windshield with incorrect gasket

Issues:
When I rebuilt the rear drums, I think I didn't bleed the brakes properly. Or there is a leak in the new wheel cylinder (there is a bit of brake fluid on the back of the wheel). I am not really sure, but the brakes were super firm and felt solid after I rebuilt the first one, and now they are kinda soft. The truck stops but something needs adjusting.
There are some small leaks. PS seems kinda wet but not noticing an actual drip. It is leaking oil, not really sure where from. Might have a small trans fluid leak.
Couple rust spots - see pics.
Muffler/exhaust is starting to rust.
BFGs are in good shape but they are super old (2013).
Needs a knuckle job.
Clearcoat is in real bad shape, obviously you can see this in the pics, although some people like it.

Good things:
Almost all original.
Frame has minimal rust - mostly superficial.
Almost everything works.
Truck has lived in the southwest its whole life.
Interior is pretty clean for a sub 20k 62.

I ordered matching gray interior upholstery from SMS fabric a year ago. It's still not here, and might never show up (they keep stringing me along). I will send it along if it ever shows up. The current fabric on the passenger and rear seats is in original, and in mediocre shape. The driver seat has been rebuilt with new foam but non matching fabric. I had intended on replacing it with matching fabric but it is impossible to get.

Almost all buttons and switches work - notable ones that don't are the rear defrost and the rear seat heater. Notable ones that do are the power antenna and throttle.

Not sure what was wrong with the original stereo. Sometimes it would come on and work perfectly with the car, sometimes it would come on but the screen and switched didn't work (sound would still come through though). No idea why. I replaced it with a cheap touchscreen that responds slowly but works great when connected to my iphone. This car was my daily for a while and I wanted the music at the expense of the original look.

The original optional toyota roof rack is pretty beat but still intact and attached. Clear coat on the roof is non-existent.

There is a tow bar attached, and wiring for a trailer. I have never used the wiring but would assume it does not work.

I have one of the original chrome strips from the door base but its in pretty bad shape. It will come with the vehicle if you want it. I also most (maybe all) of the original windshield gasket trim. My glass guy thought the new gasket they bought had a space for the chrome trim but they were wrong. If you can find the correct gasket in the future you may be able to use the original chrome. One upside - there was surprisingly very minimal rust under the gasket when they took the old one off.

Needs an alignment.

$16,500. Am I dreaming? Maybe, but the market is wild right now. Can you throw an offer at me? Sure. I would also be interested in talking about a trade for a GX 470/460.

Happy to answer any questions.

IMG_0039.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg
IMG_0068.jpeg

IMG_0071.jpeg
IMG_0075.jpeg

Video of a short drive:

Last edited:
I'm not in the market, but I wanted to commend you on a well written ad with what seems like an honest description of the truck, and lots of pictures. Good luck with the sale of your truck.

Most of driver side looks like nice paint. Passenger side has seen some things. GLWS!

I'm not in the market, but I wanted to commend you on a well written ad with what seems like an honest description of the truck, and lots of pictures. Good luck with the sale of your truck.
Appreciate it!

Most of driver side looks like nice paint. Passenger side has seen some things. GLWS!
From roughly 2010 - 2018, the truck sat in a field in NM. The passenger side was facing south and the sun did way more damage to the paint on that side.

From roughly 2010 - 2018, the truck sat in a field in NM. The passenger side was facing south and the sun did way more damage to the paint on that side.
I was wondering if something like that was the case. Thanks for saving it!

Love the ad and now it's making me really think about if I can get this from NM to WY haha! GLWS!

I might be interested. Thanks for all the pictures and the video.
Love the ad and now it's making me really think about if I can get this from NM to WY haha! GLWS!
I’ll chime in and say that I know this truck and the owner. A+ guy, although don’t tell him I said that, and, despite the warts, really a pretty solid truck.

Just be warned he’s probably going to take the proceeds and dump the cash into his POS BMW. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom