For Sale San Diego: ‘88 FJ62 Partial Restore Time Capsule Lifelong CA Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This may be a little preemptive as I am overseas until March 2 but wanted to get the word out in case someone was looking for something like this.

This is a very special FJ62. I would call it a partially restored survivor in that the paint is original and extraordinary. The interior is almost show quality and original. Zero cracks in the dash, zero wear on any of the seats. Carpet is in good condition. Everything works on the car including all the switches from the master switch. Besides a very small amount of tiny rock chips and minute imperfections it is one of the nicest original paints I have ever seen.

The passenger fender had a small dent and was repaired beautifully. No bondo.

This car is 99.9% rust free. It has always been in California it’s entire life. There are a very small amount of little tiny specs on the surface of the body scattered throughout but other than that it’s completely rust free. The most rust free 62 I have ever seen. Underneath is flawless.

Now the really good part: at 204,000 miles the engine was completely and professionally rebuilt. This included of course a valve job, machined block, crank and heads, OEM pistons, all of the gaskets, seals, rings, etc. The full deal. Radiator rebuilt, water pump, belts, etc. Engine has less than 2000 miles since being rebuilt. I have all receipts and photo documentation.

The FJ also has very recent OME leaf springs and shocks. Brand new BFG all-terrain 31s. Original wheels in awesome condition. Rear bumper had a small dent in a little oxidation so I replaced it (and the front one to match) with brand new OEM Toyota bumpers. New old stock. Professionally added shoulder belts for those parents!

Car has never been in an accident is straight as an arrow. All of the glass Is original and superb. Clean CA title and Carfax in hand.

The FJ runs and drives like a new one. Previous owner did a lot of maintenance as well and the rebuild alone was close to $6K. I have a folder full of receipts. Well over $35,000 invested in this rig.

Most people I think the paint job was done recently that’s how nice it is. The interior is the nicest original I have ever seen. The carpets are original and not perfect but not terrible by any means.

It’s very hard to put a price on something this special. I don’t think I will ever have the chance to own something like it again. Only reason I am selling is that I am almost a year into a major home remodel and will have to move out of our house for one year and the bids are coming in way over our budget! I am definitely going to regret selling this vehicle. That being said, I am by no means desperate and understand what this thing is worth. You will likely agree once you see it in person.

Please note, I am in Australia until 2nd of March so pardon my delay in responding. I also have very limited pictures on my phone but will try to see what I have.

Last edited:
Just curious, is there 206k or 260k on the chassis? Such a great looking 62! I keep coming back to these and based off of the stuff out there, it looks like I better jump before all the clean ones are gone.
206K. Did I write 260K somewhere? Chassis honestly looks like it has 60K on it!

PM sent. Can you post a pic of the transmission temp gauge that you had installed.

I have many more pics if interested. Engine was done by MS Auto Gears in Santa Clara. They specialize in off -road vehicles and have been working on FJs since they first came out! Manjit is the best in the business. Trans was flushed, resealed, gaskets, filter, added cooler, temp gauge. Shifts beautifully smooth. About 1,500 miles on engine.

Thanks for posting those pictures. I love how clean everything looks on this FJ62. Reminds me of my old white FJ62..

Link to many more pics: 1988 FJ62 - Google Drive

In the last about 15,000 miles over $15K has been spent on this rig. Highlights include:

190K: Full brake job front and rear. Trans pan gasket. Added rear shoulder seat belts. OME steering stabilizer. Battery.
200K: Alpine BT head unit. 4 Pioneer Premier speakers w/ heavy duty covers.
202K: U Joints, 2" OME lift kit, driveshaft service, transfer case, F&R diff fluid, resealed, fuel filter, water pump, t-stat, radiator, ALL
belts and hoses. Alignment. LOF.
204K: Engine completely rebuilt. Block, heads, crank, cam machined. New OEM pistons. Bored out about .30. More HP! All OEM
parts. Plugs/wires, seals, gaskets, etc. Transmission flushed, filter, cooler, resealed.
204K: OME shocks and leaf springs F&R.
205K: 4 new 31" BFG All Terrain tires. F&R new old stock Toyota chrome bumpers with hardware, end caps. OEM Master switch. All
locks/windows work.

*This was before I swapped out PF turn signal lens. OEM Toyota from Cruiser Parts. Much cleaner now.

So, why did the engine have to be rebuilt at only 204k? Also the tranny, what was done, not completely rebuilt but…? Is this a repaint or original paint job, I'm confused about your comment on this. I'm finding a few 62's (5 actually) here and there and yours is very clean, and your price reflects this. In comparison to the other 62's, which are much lower priced (between $7-$15k), your's seams to be the cleanest thus far. It's just a lot of moolah, you know. :)

I believe you sent me a private message I will contact you there thanks. Yes as the original post indicates this is original paint. It is very shocking because of how nice it is but it is original !

No, we haven't PM'd, yet. Would like to know the reasons for the rebuild and the story on the tranny though. Thanks.

Transmission did not need to be rebuilt. It was just serviced with new gaskets, filter, transmission cooler, and fluid change. Truck drives and shifts beautifully. At 204K Prior owner was doing a standard major tuneup to the top end and convinced the owner to go all the way with the rebuild. Everything is stock original besides new Toyota pistons. It was also bored out a bit for more horsepower which we can all agree is needed. 204,000 miles is a lot of miles for any engine and it was the appropriate time to do it .

This may be a little preemptive as I am overseas until March 2 but wanted to get the word out in case someone was looking for something like this.

This is a very special FJ62. I would call it a partially restored survivor in that the paint is original and extraordinary. The interior is almost show quality and original. Zero cracks in the dash, zero wear on any of the seats. Carpet is in good condition. Everything works on the car including all the switches from the master switch. Besides a very small amount of tiny rock chips and minute imperfections it is one of the nicest original paints I have ever seen.

The passenger fender had a small dent and was repaired beautifully. No bondo.

This car is 99.9% rust free. It has always been in California it’s entire life. There are a very small amount of little tiny specs on the surface of the body scattered throughout but other than that it’s completely rust free. The most rust free 62 I have ever seen. Underneath is flawless.

Now the really good part: at 204,000 miles the engine was completely and professionally rebuilt. This included of course a valve job, machined block, crank and heads, OEM pistons, all of the gaskets, seals, rings, etc. The full deal. Radiator rebuilt, water pump, belts, etc. Engine has less than 2000 miles since being rebuilt. I have all receipts and photo documentation.

The FJ also has very recent OME leaf springs and shocks. Brand new BFG all-terrain 31s. Original wheels in awesome condition. Rear bumper had a small dent in a little oxidation so I replaced it (and the front one to match) with brand new OEM Toyota bumpers. New old stock. Professionally added shoulder belts for those parents!

Car has never been in an accident is straight as an arrow. All of the glass Is original and superb. Clean CA title and Carfax in hand.

The FJ runs and drives like a new one. Previous owner did a lot of maintenance as well and the rebuild alone was close to $6K. I have a folder full of receipts. Well over $35,000 invested in this rig.

Most people I think the paint job was done recently that’s how nice it is. The interior is the nicest original I have ever seen. The carpets are original and not perfect but not terrible by any means.

It’s very hard to put a price on something this special. I don’t think I will ever have the chance to own something like it again. Only reason I am selling is that I am almost a year into a major home remodel and will have to move out of our house for one year and the bids are coming in way over our budget! I am definitely going to regret selling this vehicle. That being said, I am by no means desperate and understand what this thing is worth. You will likely agree once you see it in person.

Please note, I am in Australia until 2nd of March so pardon my delay in responding. I also have very limited pictures on my phone but will try to see what I have.View attachment 1908785

View attachment 1908795

View attachment 1908797

View attachment 1908863

View attachment 1908864
What are you asking for your beaut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom