Same ol Diesel ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
???Hi, I am new to this board but it looks like the right place for some answers. I would like to replace the 2F & 4 speed in my 82 fj40 with a 12B-T & H55 set up. But I have been told not to go this route but instead to use a 13b-t . The 12ht seems to be a twin to the 2f. So my question is will the 12h-t fit? No one will answer this for me and I am hoping that you guys will.

In my opinion I'd go with the 13B-T because it is a more turbo suited engine with the piston skirt cooling, but it's your call. Neither was common in North America as all were imported privately.

Ive got an '87 HJ-60 with a '94 1HZ in it. I'd also second that motion with the 13BT. Great engine. Direct injection, skirt cooling, factory turbo, etc etc etc.

If you want one here's where you can buy them:

http://gscruiserparts.com/engines.html

Ask for Sheldon. The guy's great.

Tom B

Thanks guys for your comments. It looks like I will be checking into a 13B-T.

HJ60 Guy--Did you swap the 1HZ into your 60 yourself? Or have some one do it...? Did you run into any problems? Do you foresee any problems with stickin' it in place of a gasser (besides having to change EVERYTHING....)? I am assuming with the H55...? How do you like it in your 60? Is it Turbo'ed or anything? Would you rather have the 13B-T?

-Ferg-

Ferg,
HJ60's came from the factory with the 2H non-turbo deisel engine. It would NEVER have had a 2F or other gasser.

Ferg,
HJ60's came from the factory with the 2H non-turbo deisel engine. It would NEVER have had a 2F or other gasser.

Yes, that I know. I think my question has been misinterpreted. I'm asking, with the experience with swapping in the 1HZ in place of his 2H, is there anything that popped up that might be more of an issue with swapping the 1HZ into a gasser (which would be my FJ60) or anything else to be aware of...? And yes, I know fuel lines etc etc would have to be swapped.

-Ferg-

I'm currently in the process of collecting all the stuff to drop a 3B into an FJ55. I decided on the 3B primarily because I have two other trucks running them right now so I have a reference if something doesn't work right off which is bound to happen. I've found a complete wiring harness from a wrecked BJ60 which will become the basis of the wiring from the dash forward. The deisel ignition is totally different from the gas engine and will require an entire rewiring if you want it to work with some automation and with the safeties in place. For instance when you start the truck prior to cranking you need to preheat it, either through glow plugs or an intake air heater (different ignition switch and glow relay/control), the initial mixture is usually richer than normal so you need to overinject (EDIC motor or manual pull), to shut down you need to remove the fuel source (deisel does not need power once it runs if it has a mechanical injection pump) so you need the EDIC or the manual pull. The 3B and I assume the other Toyota deisels have a low oil pressure cutoff (inoperable without some form of automation, either through the EDIC or a solenoid valve).
As you can see the engine operation is significantly different that that of a gas engine.
There is another user on the board who is in the final stages of a deisel into an FJ60. You may want to PM him if you're serious about this and find out what his pitfalls are.
A deisel to deisel swap is not a big deal like a gas to deisel swap.
A deisel swap will affect your A/C as the amplifier is different (no coil feed) the tach is different (again no coil feed) and I'm sure there is a ton of other issues that I have not even thought of.
The benefits are huge as far as I'm concerned. Things like double the fuel mileage, loads of low end torque, great durability and reliability.
It's a :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: job though!

Well, I wish I could say that I was doing the install, but Im not. My pal Rob Lassman at Radd Cruisers

http://www.raddcruisers.ca/1024.htm

is doing it. He is doing a FULL frame off resto for me too.

Robb does kick ass work. Im adding a DTS intercooled turbo the 1HZ. I'll post many pics when its all done.

Tom B

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=12;threadid=7786;start=msg65467#msg65467 date=1069302451]
In my opinion I'd go with the 13B-T because it is a more turbo suited engine with the piston skirt cooling, but it's your call. Neither was common in North America as all were imported privately.
[/quote]

The 12H-T is a IDI turbo with piston skirt cooling. Same block as the 2H, but different head + turbo.

[quote author=Overlord link=board=12;threadid=7786;start=msg66201#msg66201 date=1069437921]
The 12H-T is a IDI turbo with piston skirt cooling. Same block as the 2H, but different head + turbo.
[/quote]
By IDI are you saying In-Direct Injection? The 13B-T is direct injection, I've seen one with the head off and I'd far rather have direct injection (swirl chamber in the piston crown) over indirect injection (pre-combustion chambers). There is less to fail and I've had a precombustion chamber on my 3B fail :'(!

Are you sure on the piston skirt cooling? I KNOW the 3B has the piston skirt cooling ('cause I had to pull the nozzles to replace the cylinder liners on the engine going into the FJ55) and I'm 99% sure the 2H does not have it and IF the 2H and 12H-T share the same block then the 12H-T doesn't have it either! It's part of the block and sprays the underside of the piston with oil. The spray nozzles are about 1/2 way up the side of the block on the 3B.

Sorry, I meant DI (direct inject).

I don't know first hand if the 12H-T has piston skirt cooling, I don't own a Toyota diesel. I'm a pore American smuck in which dreams of having a Toyota diesel. :)

The 2H/12H-T manual does list the 12H-T as having oil nozzles, which I believe are the skirt coolers. I'm not 100% sure if oil nozzle = piston skirt cooling? ???

the 12ht is a 2h direct injection, piston cooled factory turboed diseasel engine, and would be a great swap for the guy who asked first, because the engine is set up similar to a 2h, so all mounts etc would be easy to get to do the swap.

Who the hell would want a 3b when you can get a12ht....

A 1hdfte would be even better, if you like diseasels, but even the latest 1hdfte only makes 10nm more torgue than the 100 1fz-fe and 25 LESS kw.....

But add a turbo and intercooler tou your 1fz, and you should get similar economy to a 1hd___ and HEAPS more power.

I would rather have the 12H-T instead of the 13B-T to replace my 2F. My question was will it fit in my 82 fj40? The H55 seems to be about 3"to3.5" longer then what I have and looking under the hood I don,t have that space unless I remove the fan & fan clutch and mabe the shroud and replace with a narrow elect. fan and now will that run into a over heating problim? Or ???. This is my first project and I have owned my Cruiser for 16 years now and would like to get another 16+ from it. I want to do it right and that is why I am asking for help & opinions from all who want to assist. I am looking at a 12H-T / H55 / split transfer as a complet unit to put in :D. Brian

go for it, the 12ht is same size as the 2h and 2f, and even the early 60 4 sp and t/case will go straight in, and you can use the under gearbox mount with an easy fab crossmember, instead of the bellhousing mounts from the 40.

Some reworking of the tailshafts should be your biggest headache.

[quote author=the shedguy [Aus/CAC] link=board=12;threadid=7786;start=msg66277#msg66277 date=1069449696]
Who the hell would want a 3b when you can get a12ht....
[/quote]

Here in North America we only got the 3B and the 2H NO other 'Cruiser deisels were ever brought in! The 12H-T's and the 13B-T's are all privately imported with the accompanying potential parts problems.
I'm going to continue running the 3B 'cause the 3B is already in the garage from long ago and the 13B-T ot 12H-T are $7000 - 10000. It's all a question of $$$. That's why someone would run a 3B rather than a 12H-T or one of the newer Toyota deisels :D

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=12;threadid=7786;start=msg66357#msg66357 date=1069463368]
Here in North America we only got the 3B and the 2H NO other 'Cruiser deisels were ever brought in! The 12H-T's and the 13B-T's are all privately imported with the accompanying potential parts problems.
I'm going to continue running the 3B 'cause the 3B is already in the garage from long ago and the 13B-T ot 12H-T are $7000 - 10000. It's all a question of $$$. That's why someone would run a 3B rather than a 12H-T or one of the newer Toyota deisels :D
[/quote]

Parts can still be ordered, even in the states. Usually have to wait for the slow boat though.

12H-T is an awesome engine, it may be overkill for a 40 though... with a 3B+T or better yet a 13BT you can build some very good power and torque, and it will be a lot lighter than a 12HT... But if you're building a heavy long range expedition truck with a lot of highway miles at speed, the 12HT will be great too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom