For Sale Sale pending. NorCal: SM420 with bellhousing and transfercase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Located in Truckee CA. Can arrange to meet in Sacramento, Stockton, SF Bay Area

asking $450 obo

This is a complete sm420 with Adapter and earlier transfer case.
Includes bellhousing to F/2F motor.
Flywheel.
Clutch (still good)
Transfer has shifter and case saver
Transmission has shifter (not pictured)
Comes with a second spare sm420.

Only thing missing is your Land Cruiser to put it in!!

3rd gear has a lazy synchro. Doesn’t pop out of gear but you have to shift slow or it grinds. I pulled it out because my cruiser getting a fancy pants 5-speed.

49A1462E-1272-4E43-8029-F220CF8555B9.jpeg

Do you know whose adapter plate it is? Clocked?

GLWS

Located in Truckee CA. Can arrange to meet in Sacramento, Stockton, SF Bay Area

asking $450 obo

This is a complete sm420 with Adapter and earlier transfer case.
Includes bellhousing to F/2F motor.
Flywheel.
Clutch (still good)
Transfer has shifter and case saver
Transmission has shifter (not pictured)
Comes with a second spare sm420.

Only thing missing is your Land Cruiser to put it in!!

3rd gear has a lazy synchro. Doesn’t pop out of gear but you have to shift slow or it grinds. I pulled it out because my cruiser getting a fancy pants 5-speed.

View attachment 2445736
Do you know what transfer case that is?

I think it’s an early AA adapter where the main shaft of the SM420 is replaced and reaches through the support bearing in the transfer case.
not sure what year case it is... there are “some” ribs on it... so not super early? ‘71-‘73???

Danny Warden's adapter didn't change anything in terms of the output shaft.

Well, for the 3 speed transfer case, anyway. Not sure if he made a 420 to 4spd adapter; but THAT is DEFINITELY a 3spd transfer case.

Warden's adapter was little more than a 3/4" aluminum plate with an additional bearing for the transmission output shaft, and some hardware to retain the input gear.

You removed the PTO gears & the original t-case input gear fit onto the SM420 output shaft (about 3/4 of the way, the gear was actually deeper than the shaft) and was retained by a bushing (thick washer) that had a roll pin to index into the gear's splines; with a retaining bolt that threaded into the transmission output shaft.

It's easy enough to know if this is a Warden's adapter by pulling either the side or rear PTO cover & seeing if the PTO gears are there.

If it has a stub shaft WITH the PTO gears, then it's likely the Advanced Adapters kit.

Danny Warden's adapter didn't change anything in terms of the output shaft.

Well, for the 3 speed transfer case, anyway. Not sure if he made a 420 to 4spd adapter; but THAT is DEFINITELY a 3spd transfer case.

Warden's adapter was little more than a 3/4" aluminum plate with an additional bearing for the transmission output shaft, and some hardware to retain the input gear.

You removed the PTO gears & the original t-case input gear fit onto the SM420 output shaft (about 3/4 of the way, the gear was actually deeper than the shaft) and was retained by a bushing (thick washer) that had a roll pin to index into the gear's splines; with a retaining bolt that threaded into the transmission output shaft.

It's easy enough to know if this is a Warden's adapter by pulling either the side or rear PTO cover & seeing if the PTO gears are there.

If it has a stub shaft WITH the PTO gears, then it's likely the Advanced Adapters kit.
You are referring to their 2nd type of 420 adapter, plate style.
Their first ones were thicker aluminum spacer/adapter, and a Sm420 shaft mated to a 3 speed tranny’s out put shaft. PTO friendly.
Back to the sale.

I swear this wasn’t a stub shaft. But a custom Shaft that replaces the main 420 Shaft.
the plate is thicker than the “modern” 3/4” plates. anyway... Sales is pending.

Huh. Similar to this guy’s (Also a mystery)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom