Saginaw installation time? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I highly recommend Kurt's firewall bearing. It's a very neat and clean way to immobilize the lower end of your steering column. $10 or less and it's money well spent. The easiest way to install that bearing by far is to remove the whole steering column from the truck, lightly sand the shaft, slide on the bearing, re-install. 30 minutes start to finish.

Regarding the time-If your friend has any skills at all, he'll figure it right out. I used a different kit- 4x4 Labs- but once you weld on the frame plates and the plate for the box, it practically installs itself. I nearly broke my wrist drilling the hole in the front cross member. If your hole saw binds up (which it will) be damn sure the handle of the drill is braced on something solid. My wrist hurt for a month after that little surprise.

BBQ, I wouldn't apologize for putting your trust in your buddy. Just work along side of him and you can both learn together (while your keeping an eye on him).

Regarding the tight fitting firewall anchor bearing, I think most of us use a 3/4" bearing since it is the closest to the Toyota shaft. The Toyota shaft should be 19mm, which mathmatically equals 3/4" (.03937 X 19 equals .750), but when I check my equivalents chart it shows that 3/4" equals 19.050 millimeters??? If this is true, evidently you would have to remove .050 with emery paper???

you will be removeing .050 millimeters
or .0019685 thousands /ergo .002 thousands

Probably the best advice so far is to not fight the steering column in place. I did eventually I gave up and removed it from the truck, once you do it you see how easy it is and how much easier it makes doing the job.

Seriously it's like three bolts and one plug and the whole shebang lifts right out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom