Sagging ass on a Tacoma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shahram

I ain't got herpes no more.
Threads
Hey y'all,

I did search on this one, couldn't find much. Maybe somebody here can help me.

I have a buddy with a '95 Tacoma 4x4, reg cab. Rear end on the truck is getting a wicked sag to it. He carries a lot of tools and gear in the back with a camper shell and carpet kit, but now even when unloaded it sags and bottoms out.

He'd like to fix it, but doesn't know which route to go. He has a few concerns:

1. Solution should be reasonably inexpensive.
2. Doesn't want to give up a lot of articulation, or have a real stiff ride.
3. Wants to stay stock height.

Should he just take it to a suspension shop and get the springs replaced? What should he ask for? What should he watch out for?

Thanks for any advice.

Add a Leafs or new stock springs. Im sure he can find them on Ebay or on other forums.

I have a set of OEM rear springs from my 04 Tacoma Extra cab TRD. only 30K on them. I upgraded to Deaver 8 leaf- Make me an offer. I am in Sedona A- PM me for details

I just went through this with my '86 4runner. Ended up with 2" lift springs from Downey and 1 1/2" extended, greasable shackles from Daystar. The springs put the rear end back to within a hair of level. I ordered stock length shackles but received the extended ones, so I just used them. Am about level, maybe slightly higher in the rear now.

My truck had overload leaves on it, which I left on. Now with no load I'm level with a firm but not stiff ride. With a big load (3 guys with full dive and camping gear - dive gear is heavy, lots of lead, tanks, etc. - towing a popup trailer) it sags to the overloads and them some.

With a full time partial load your weight might be similar to a 4runner. Could go with 3".

Read about some people who have suffered broken springs after installing add-a-leafs. I shied away.

Also, I've read the Downey springs sag over time, so I may regret them. Have to wait and see.

You can find low mileage sets such as the ones offered by DesertDude. I'd PM him for a price as this will be much cheaper than any custom set-up.

His stock springs worked for him for a long time, he should stick with stock springs. His mechanic can install them for him in about an hour if he doesn't want to do it himself.

He should replace all the shocks too if they are worn also.

Last edited:
desertdude said:
Thanks Calamaridog - the springs and coil-overs / rear bilstien shocks will go cheap ;)

Well that is even better. He can upgrade to slightly used springs, rear shocks, and front coilovers with only 30,000 mi. on them. It will be like driving a new truck!

find a used set of skyjacker 5" springs. Mine were about stock after a year. Then skyjacker replaced and a year later they were about stock again. A used set should be just about right. They seem to stop the sag once they get to about stock height.

I'm getting reaqdy to put a set of the 63 inch Chevy half ton springs under a Taco. By the time we are done it should yield about a 2.5-3 inch lift and slightly increased carrying capacity. Along with a ride that is at least equally smooth and better articulation.

Mark...

Hey y'all,

I did search on this one, couldn't find much. Maybe somebody here can help me.

I have a buddy with a '95 Tacoma 4x4, reg cab. Rear end on the truck is getting a wicked sag to it. He carries a lot of tools and gear in the back with a camper shell and carpet kit, but now even when unloaded it sags and bottoms out.

He'd like to fix it, but doesn't know which route to go. He has a few concerns:

1. Solution should be reasonably inexpensive.
2. Doesn't want to give up a lot of articulation, or have a real stiff ride.
3. Wants to stay stock height.

Should he just take it to a suspension shop and get the springs replaced? What should he ask for? What should he watch out for?

Thanks for any advice.

Install a set of stock 89-95 toyota xcab springs. They are stiffer and give about 2" lift, which should be perfect for carrying the loads you mentioned.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/projects/blackbean/ome/

My 02 DC was starting to sag with all the gear on cross country camping trips. I went local to National Springs here in SoCal and had them custom make / insert an extra leaf in the spring pack to help keep it level. These guys were awesome, asked me what I wanted for ride height, how much gear I was going to carry etc and then delivered just what I asked for. Rides smooth, stock height, and holds a crap load of gear.

Anybody know if Hilux leaf packs will crossover to a 97 Taco? Need to replace my springs without a lift and there are a lot more Hilux's here than Tacomas.

63" Chevy's then just put a 3" cornfed spacer in the front if you want a budget setup that will yield everything you are looking for and then some.

I have a set of OEM rear springs from my 04 Tacoma Extra cab TRD. only 30K on them. I upgraded to Deaver 8 leaf- Make me an offer. I am in Sedona A- PM me for details

Your springs won't fit a 97 or older Tacoma. Different lengths.

Have your buddy call the dealer with his VIN and see if his truck is subject to the spring recall. There were a bunch of bad springpacks in the first gen Taco's that were replaced by Toyota. .....Steve

Have your buddy call the dealer with his VIN and see if his truck is subject to the spring recall. There were a bunch of bad springpacks in the first gen Taco's that were replaced by Toyota. .....Steve

Not a recall, only a free replacement if you complained about it while the truck was under warranty. Ask me how I know...

Not a recall, only a free replacement if you complained about it while the truck was under warranty. Ask me how I know...

Really? I read about some guys having them replaced in the last few years and they would have been out of warranty? Maybe I heard wrong. ....Steve

Really? I read about some guys having them replaced in the last few years and they would have been out of warranty? Maybe I heard wrong. ....Steve

Yep, see HERE Oh and I followed this up with a phone call to my local friendly dealer too, no dice...

I wouldnt bother with Add a leaves, or trying to rebuild the stock packs with an extra spring or two...

i've done both of these things, and I STILL have the sag, as well as a couple broken Downey AALs....

I would just go Chevy leaves (if you want close to stock ride height, use shorter shackles), or try these guys:

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm

Oh and if he's been carrying moderate loads constantly, i would also check the rear frame where it bends to go up over the rear axle. Early Tacos are known for cracking here. There are vendors selling weld-in scab plates if it IS bent or cracked...
Toyota quietly "fixed" the issue in the 00's, but left early pre-00 owners on their own for frame issues... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom