Safely securing luggage and cargo in rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HGB

Threads
I’ve started to take more trips in my 200 as of late and that poses a new challenge: how do I safely secure large suitcases to prevent them from shifting in the case of an accident? God forbid it happens, but I’m aware that loose cargo can make an otherwise routine accident much more lethal.

Are there any good cargo nets that would secure to the tie down points? Ratchet straps very tightly around luggage? Something convenient and modular would be best.

I also would like to take recommendations for storage bins/boxes that offer tie down points and lids to be used for smaller, loose cargo items.

I saw these on a 4Runner thread via google search, anyone familiar with the cases?

TIA my fellow Mudders
078C3A8A-0623-4109-82B6-BB0251DF23E5.jpeg

I stow soft gear like clothes, sleeping bags...etc in duffel bags as opposed to hard cases and stuff the corners with them. These are not tied down. Heavy, hard items like tools, recovery gear & kitchen are in hard cases or large, heavy duty Husky brand tool duffels and these are secured to the floor with ratchet straps.

I use a Raingler net. There is an easy install version that uses the seat belt attachment points and a strap that runs through the 3rd row ceiling handles.

There was a group buy on the forum within the last year or so. I think there are some pictures if you search for it.

I made a floor platform out of 3/4" plywood & carpet. Platform is secured to the third row's original hook/mount points, and has a variety of t-tracks (with tie downs) as well as individual tie-downs. Everything heavy/boxy gets secured before transport.

Plain rope and/or cam buckle straps. I prefer rope because it's soft, doesn't bang on anything, and is the most compact and flexible tool. POSH ( Portside Out, Starboard Home) rope is my choice for this sort of thing.

Anyone see a problem with using a bag like this in the cargo area tied down to the four mounting points? Should this be safe in securing the cargo and keeping it in the rear in the event of a rear collision?
91r+km0+TTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Anyone see a problem with using a bag like this in the cargo area tied down to the four mounting points? Should this be safe in securing the cargo and keeping it in the rear in the event of a rear collision? View attachment 2432475

The kind of soft cargo that would go in that bag wouldn't be an issue if it were loose during a collision.

I would put hardcase luggage and camping chairs in it and tie it down. Thoughts?

Sounds like a pain in the butt to me. Pain to pack things, pain to get them out, questionable breaking-limit on the bag and its straps, etc. A simple plywood platform with tie-down tracks would be 100x more versatile.

Sounds like a pain in the butt to me. Pain to pack things, pain to get them out, questionable breaking-limit on the bag and its straps, etc. A simple plywood platform with tie-down tracks would be 100x more versatile.

Ok but what net do you use with said tracks?

I Have the tie down points but my dilemma revolves around what net/bag to tie cargo down with.

Ok but what net do you use with said tracks?

I Have the tie down points but my dilemma revolves around what net/bag to tie cargo down with.

Why do you necessarily need a net?

Ratchet-straps, cam-buckle straps, front runner "stratchits," etc. work just fine. I strap-down each heavy container individually, and leave soft items (duffels, etc.) just sitting on top.

2qS8VEN.jpg

BPrHIrG.jpg

Last edited:
Raingler makes nice cargo nets.

I like to think of it as being cheaper than a visit to the emergency room to deal with the injury from flying projectiles.

Still seems over priced for a large cargo net but I get it. If you carry a lot of stuff in the back all the time then it would be worth it.

I've been through every iteration of securing gear. Custom nets, shaped tarps, tie downs, you name it. A cargo barrier or cargo net is a thousand times better than strapping everything down, every time individually. Unless you're loading something heavy or fragile or running Hells Gate, you just throw it in the back.

Install cargo barrier once. Done.

Reactions: HGB
I've been through every iteration of securing gear. Custom nets, shaped tarps, tie downs, you name it. A cargo barrier or cargo net is a thousand times better than strapping everything down, every time individually. Unless you're loading something heavy or fragile or running Hells Gate, you just throw it in the back.

Install cargo barrier once. Done.

Awesome. Any particular nets and or barriers you like? I would prefer a net to preserve rear visibility, but open to the safest option.

When I was designing my systems I tried all different materials and solidity ratios. The smaller the webbing or wire used the better the visibility. Larger "holes" do not necessarily help. Think window screen vs. prison bars.

Having said that, most cargo nets are the latter. But they are very strong and easy to get. Safari Straps has been my go-to for custom stuff. There's probably lots of other options out there. Nowadays I would make my own as trekboxx has a commercial walking foot machine. If you make your own find a heavy duty machine with 92 thread, minimum.

A cargo barrier is even better, but will cost more. ARB might have something for the 200, if you can get it in the US. One of the tough things with the late model cruisers is the curtain airbags. You don't want something going all the way to the sides- your airbag can hang up and not provide side head protection for 2nd row passengers. That's why I make my barriers with a gap there, and they don't attach to the vehicle but to the system only. For a cargo barrier only I would definitely take this into consideration. I don't know how you would fasten a net while keeping this gap. You can see the gap in this image:

1599882273318.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom