?'s on mobile 1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,

I'm just getting familier with my new (to me) 94 fzj80. It seems in exceptional shape for 200,000 miles. I have an fj60, and am pinching myself that I now have two incredible machines in front of my house. My wife picked out the 80 (for her to drive of course) - gotta love that woman.

I've read so many positives about mobile 1, but nothing specific (that I can find) about use in high milage engines. Oil consumption on this 80 appears to be low - less than 1 qt per 1000 miles. Any thoughts? If you'd use mobile 1, would you go with 10-30?

Also, is there any experience with mobile 1 in automatic transmissions? I've read good things about it's use in the manuals, as well as the transfer and thirds.

My wife is happy, and I get to work on it. Probably I can even "improve" it for her! Win/win.

Thanks for your advice.

Doug Graham

Today I put 5 litres of Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30 in my ex-wife's 4Runner . She got the 4Runner , but I still maintain it , go figure ??? ::) I always ran the same synthetic in it while 'I' drove it , and that was 75K ago . I like the stuff personally .

Peace ,

Tyler

I've only used Mobil Oil once, And that was Gear Oil 80W/90 GL-4/GL-5 into the Gearbox of my BJ40. Every time I placed it into gear, I could feel and hear the Synchros having a huge Winge. :mad:

Never again will I buy any Mobil Products, There are heaps of other choices out there. :)

0W/20 - Honestly this what is known as 'Running In' Engine Oil.
0W/30 - ???
0W/40 - ???
5W/30 - Incredible low Viscosity for a 5W/30.
10W/30 - Incredible low Viscosity for a 10W/30.
15W/50 - Only descent Viscosity availible.

Been doing some research on Synthetic Oils commonly availible, And the only ones that i would even waste my money on are Penrite Synthetic 5, Penrite HPR Light Diesel(Proper Semi-Synthetic) and Penrite HPR Diesel(Proper Semi-Synthetic).

;) Just switched mine over 2k ago and my 3FE has 213000 miles. No consumption, no discoloration, no evidence of sludge yet and no leaks. I used 10w-30 but plan to switch to 0w-40 due to the thin-ness of 10w-30 and a little low oil pressure. Go ahead if you have no major leaks. Also there is an EXTENSIVE post on synthetics here on this board.

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=2;threadid=4942;start=msg37785#msg37785 date=1062665053]

0W/20 - Honestly this what is known as 'Running In' Engine Oil.

Actually this is not running in oil. This is oil to comply with the new requirements for late model honda's and Fords specing 5w-20

Been doing some research on Synthetic Oils commonly availible, And the only ones that i would even waste my money on are Penrite Synthetic 5, Penrite HPR Light Diesel(Proper Semi-Synthetic) and Penrite HPR Diesel(Proper Semi-Synthetic).

Penrite is supposed to make some good oils, but they are impossible to find.

To the original poster, Mobil 1 0w-40 is the one to be using.

Cary

[/quote]

The only possible downfall I could see is that sometimes higher mileage engines will leak the syn oil out. I've had some cars puke it right out, and others have been no problemo. But, if it'll hold the syn, I'd either use Mobil 1 or Redline.

I ran 10w30 M1 with no problems. THe oil, dino and syn both leaked out the seals at the same rate. If it leaks, just fix it. I now have M1 0w40.
kurt

Mobil SuperSyn 10W/40 at Kmart = Australian $64.99 for 5 Litres :eek:
Penrite Synthetic 5 = Australian $37.99 for 5 Litres

Penrite Synthetic 5 seems to be good Value. I wonder how much it would cost for 20 Litres, Directly from the Factory(It's in Wantirna South, Which is the next Suburb east of here. :flipoff2:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom