rusty fuel tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my fj40 back to "drive-able" condition this week, however the fuel tank that I used to replace the one that was rusted from the outside in, seems to have rust issues from the inside out. go figure right!

So I have looked into cheap fix it options as the long range tank I really want (getting this spring) is out of budget right now and I don't want to spend $ on a tank that will be replaced with the LR tank.

So I was wondering if any of you have tried to remove the rust inside of a fuel tank before and what the best method was.

I have seen where some use muratic acid based stuff (the works toilet cleaner), but I used this as a kid to make those pop bottle bombs and don't want to blow up the fj40 or die from poison.

another way was to use vinegar, this is what I am leaning towards, but not sure it will work well.

Any advise from experience would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I also saw where diet coke works but I wont be doing that.

I have put clean gravel, dish washing liquid and water in the tank then shake, shake, shake. This removes the flaking rust and loose stuff on the inside. If rust is still present then you will need to use a rust convertor or a tank coating that are compatible with gas. Good luck.

I took mine to a radiator shop because I didn't want to mess with it in the garage. They're boiling it, soldering the pinholes, and lining it with teflon for $90. Should get it back today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom