rust prevention after sand blasting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

merbesfield

SILVER Star
Threads
i spent the last weekend blasting all the parts to my LV and then shot it with some high quality epoxy primer. but after looking at the primed pieces it looks to me like rust could begin forming at all the sheet metal joints all over the place before it gets final painted really well, which who knows how long that could take. is there any kind of chemical or seam sealer that i should try to put in the cracks or try to seal the cracks? if you look at all the new cars, all their joints are sealed with the body seam sealer. i realize that is suppose to be done just before paint so what can you do in the mean time to prevent rust from forming. i sure as heck don't want to have to sand blast again. sorry for the long post.

Not sure exactly which seams you are talking about, however, there are numerous seam sealers available. You will want to make sure that the primer has a good scratch in it before you apply, and make sure it's fully cured prior to painting. Also, when applying, some are toolable with solvent, and some just make a big mess when exposed to solvent before curing. The best thing to do would be to check out 3m automotive . com...

I have sandblasted excursion boats in the past, and we used to roll the seams. Problem is , is that not all welds are created equal. So when you blast , there still might be microscopic pinholes. The only way to solve this is by rolling the seams, thus pushing the paint IN there.:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom