RUBITHON 2022 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
backcountryadventuretime.com
So I thought I need to share my experience driving my LX through the Rubicon in northern California as part of RUBITHON 2022.

It took us three days to travel what I’m told is about 22 miles. Could have gone faster but I was traveling with a group and there was a fair amount of traffic. I went with the group known as the “Wagon Run”. This run was designated for 80 series and the FJC. The bare minimum requirement for Rubithon is 35’s, a winch, and a rear locker. Front locker and armor highly recommended. There was 7 80’s three FJC and a 40 on our run. The run was run by Jeff Greenwood in his FJC. Great guy if you ever have the chance to go out with him, he’s a great guide.

The first day we left the trail head at 8 am and made it about a half a mile to the gatekeeper and I managed to high center my rear diff and driveshaft on a rock and had to winch. This was the only time I had to use the winch and mostly because I didn’t want to bump harder or push through and risk damage to my driveshaft. We reached the lake by 5. This was good time from what I’m told. The first day was absolutely terrifying. It was the most difficult obstacles I’ve ever seen and it just kept going and going and going. Long day of driving. Imagine the hill at McKelvey lake but for miles and miles.

The next day we left at ten from the lake. This was the harder day, and we had to make it through the big sluice, which everyone had been telling us was way worse then in years past. The old timers were all saying they haven’t seen it this rough in at least a couple of years. We manage to not break anything and make it to Rubicon springs by 2. This was kind of unexpected because next to mothing went wrong. We had one 80 blow a bead on a tire but the tire fixed itself and we were able to move on after being stopped about 20 minutes. I also managed to completely crush my tailpipe shut, so luckily someone had an angle grinder and we just hacked it off on the trail.

The next two days were spent relaxing at the Rubicon spring, enjoying the Maurader Bar, all you can drink for $10, the BBQ and the Raffle. This is a really cool place to camp out and check out all the sweet rigs. My Lexus was one of the smaller rigs there, tons of buggies in all shapes and sizes. I was told there was 110 Toyota 4x4’s in attendance.

Sunday morning was crazy, we had to wake up super early to leave at 5 and start the trail out. This was going to be a relatively easy day, aside from Cadillac Hill. The hill is no joke, and starting at 5 meant we were driving up the majority driving into the sun at times and still dark out. You have to turn your headlights off for the spotter and I’m defiantly investing in “rock lights” after this trip. Wheeling in the dark is a whole nother ball game. We made it out by 2 to the end of the trail head and started the long trip home.

I could write so much more and I’m sure ill think of more to post later, but we all know that everyone just wants to see pictures anyways!

7D1CE71A-9D97-447A-AB38-B8BE1429CA3D.jpeg
8BC56189-A15C-4470-AEEE-1C14A93580C6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom