RTT vs ground tents... pros and cons? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wondering the pros and cons of an RTT vs a ground tent.

I can see where the RTT doesn't care about the condition of the ground, as long as the trailer is level or can be leveled. But they seem to be a hassle for carrying cargo, unless they can elevate above the trailer.

The ground tent can be set up anywhere. Some camping areas here have places to put tents, but the vehicles are a number of feet away. You'd be tenting on the shoulder of the access road. The ground tent requires a fairly level, non-rocky area to set up.

Weather is an issue too. The RTT can be used above the snow. Ground tents would have to float on the snow or be dug in.

Any other pros and cons?

Quick to set up and take down, no diggin a trench at 3 in the morning around the tent, up off the ground and away from the critters... generally the Rtt's are built more robustly as well.

I've got both. The ground tent finally got used about a month ago after not getting used for about 5yrs, it made me really appreciate the rtt. It's more comfortable than sleeping on the ground. My trailer is set up with a roof rack on it so storage is no problem. I can also leave all my gear in the trailer and park it in the garage ready to go the next time. This next comment could be a pro or a con. It has gotten my wife back into camping. This is something I had been trying to do.

I have got them all
- a ground tent
- a roof top tent
- a popup roof on my HDJ80
- and now an Oztent.
Actually, the best for me. You dress it within 30 seconds, it's about 77" tall. The only negative thing I see is that the package has about 78 inches. Not so well for transport it. As I drive an FJC , I have to put it on the roofbar or to put in on a trailer. The constructer has now a new modell named Jettent. A little bit smaller when packed.

I was faced with the same decision point and went with an OZtent for a couple of reasons. (1) My wheeling routine usually involves setting up a campsite, THEN hitting the trails. (2) In New England the trails are too tight and low to haul a RTT around, so when I had to help someone remove their RTT to get under a tree, then reinstall it, that became a check in the ground tent column. (3) If you have pets, imagine hauling a dog up and down the ladder to get them in a RTT. My Doberman is 80lbs and her protective pedigree necessitates her being in the same room. (4) Middle of the night nature calls. Getting somewhat dressed in the horizontal and climbing the ladder all the while holding your bladder was not a positive either.

iD8363DBD-315A-4B03-9F88-A5199A89C2EE.jpg

:D

I have never been inside a RTT, but I can stand up straight in my ground tent. I had a small ground tent and hated getting dressed on my butt, knees or hunched.

Either way, buy the best thing you can afford. I think a good ground tent is so nice to have. I have a nice backpacking tent IN MY TRAILER, as cheap insurance. I have the old cheap-o RTT (Mombassa gen 1 tent) and it doesn't like wind. Other than that... I love the RTT, thick mattress, easy setup, and roomy.

HJ-45CrewCab; (2) In New England the trails are too tight and low to haul a RTT around said:
Hey... I represent that statement. M416 with elevating platform, check!

The RTT are cool, but way overpriced. You can take a pup tent and stick it on top of your box and snooze away. Like I said they are cool, but damn you gotta have a lot of coin in your pocket for em.

I am looking at a Springbar 7 tent, large enough for the entire family and rugged enough to last for many years. When outfitted with accessories the cost is very similar to a quality RTT. (I do not have an expedition trailer built nor do I have a good roof rack for an RTT, so this Springbar tent is much cheaper.)

Could also look into the MOAB RTT which is like a quasi DIY RTT, which is made by the same people as the Springbar. (both are made in the USA)

Could also mount a tent-cot double as a RTT or use on the ground, under $300... (think this is made in china)

FYI: Is a rooftop tent (RTT) for me? - RME4x4.com - Utah's Rock Crawling and Off-Road Forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom