RTH-- Electrical Issue. Intermittent power loss while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2009 LX. Left the duck camp this morning and heard a slight belt whine while opening the gate. On the way home at highway speed and the entire electrical system shut off, then back on, and off and on. All electrical was intermittent, including ignition, nav, dash and running lights.

I was able to get a ride back home but need to address as my vehicle is in a remote area and it is my DD.

TIA

Perhaps if the belt was slipping the alternator wasn’t charging properly or consistently and battery is dead. Would bring a multimeter and check the standing voltage.

If it’s that remote, I’d bring a spare battery.

I agree the battery is the first thing. Take a new, fully charged battery and install it with clean connections ( Plus check the ground strap that goes from the battery to the fender. ) I suspect it will run ok, at least as long as that battery lasts, hopefully far enough to get the truck to civilization for a tow. Don’t run any aux stuff or HVAC or lights until you can confirm the alternator is charging all the time properly.

This happened to me when one of my AHC actuators fried.

Run a code check and see our anything reads.
Interesting. My AHC has been very active and clunky. I had it towed home and will look at it more when I get back there again. Will also check battery connections and strap

+ battery cable was loose. crazy because I had just tightened it last week. Feel like a fool for a $400 tow

+ battery cable was loose. crazy because I had just tightened it last week. Feel like a fool for a $400 tow

May of us have been there too so don't be too hard on yourself. Was the chassis ground for me a couple cars back.

Are you running stock battery cables? Some have been known to have issues with galvanic corrosion caused by dissimilar metals.

You may already know this, but if not the posts are tapered and it is entirely possible to have the clamp tight but not actually be tight on the post. For this reason any time I install terminals I spread them open so they slip down as far as possible, and do a better job making contact.

If $400 is the most expensive boneheaded mistake you make in life you are far ahead of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom