RTH Did I Over-Grease?????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Blackdog

"Y'all smell that?"
Threads
I think I may have put too much grease in my steering knuckles. I keep seeing smoke drifting out from under the front end. I cant find the source but I think it may be grease slinging out of the knuckle onto the brake rotor, but it smells like a belt. Help a brother out. Have any of you seen this happen before?

Is there grease on the inside of the tire? The knuckle shouldn't sling anything, if it is leaking that bad it will usually just drip on the inside of the tire/wheel. Did you grease your u-joints? Every time I grease the ujoints I get a burning grease smell. It is from the grease getting thrown on the exhaust.

I checked the obvious stuff that you mentioned, but when I see smoke (twice now) it has been coming from around the DS front wheel. There is a little bit of grease on the inside of the rim that has dripped off of the knuckle though. Strangely this happened just a few days after I filled the knuckles with grease. I inadvertently put enough in the DS that it pushed the grease gun head out of the port and came up like toothpaste. It hasjust started oozing out around the wiper seal and clumping on the outside of the knuckles. This is why I think it probably burning grease causing the smoke and odor. My thought is grease is falling off yhr DS knuckle on the inside of the rim and being slung onto the rotor.?????????????????

Pull the tire and have a closer look at this. If you have gotten grease on the rotor it will have contaminated the pads and they'll need to be replaced. But with the dust shield in place I can't see how grease oozing from the backside of the knuckle could reach the rotor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom