RPM'S (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I NOW MY 68' IS LOW GEARED BUT MY TACH IS SHOWING 3500 RPM AT 55 MPH!!! I FOUND A TABLE ON OFFROAD.COM THAT SAID WITH MY TRANNY 3 SPD AND 4.11 GEARS WITH 31'S I SHOULD BE AROUND 2400 RPM'S. IS THIS BAD INFO OR DO I NEED A NEW TACH???

EXCEPT FOR THE 31'S THIS THING IS BONE STOCK. THE GUY I BOUGHT IT FROM GOT IT FROM HIS UNCLE WHO BOUGHT IT BRAND NEW. NO UPDGRADES WHATSOVER. SO THAT IS TO HIGH OF AN RPM THEN? I GUESS I'LL GET ANOTHER TACH.

I'm with Gumbo, here, 3500 would get me about 75mph with 4.10 gears and 31's. Got to be bad tach info.
Sorry about stylizung your name Gumby, just thought you needed a nickname for your pen name.
If I did my alger-bra correctly, your tach is set for 4cyl.
6cyl...check it and see ;)
Ed Long

1968 FJ40, stock F engine, 3 speed tranny/transfer case. Stewart Warner tach. At 3000 RPM I am going right at 65.

Like others said, make sure that the tach is hooked up correctly and set for 6 cyl.

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS. TOOK THE TACH APART ALL THE WIRES ARE SODERED ON. THINKING MAYBE THIS TACH WAS JUST FOR V8. DID THE OLD TURN THE TIRE TEST HAS 4.11. GUESS I'LL BUY A NEW TACH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom