Rover vs 4 Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Southeast Overland

Get lost! Go explore!
Threads
Website
www.southeastoverland.com
Got a neighbor whose kid has a 4 Runner but is looking at a Disco. I'm urging him to stay with the 4 Runner but the dad wanted to know about Discos. I read somewhere on MUD where there are a certain period of Discos that have bad electrical problems - which years are these that you should doubly especially stay away from?

All year models, if it aint a LR series 1 or D-90 it aint worth having.....

Not a quote from me, my cousin who is a LR mechanic....

"If it ain't leakin', it's empty!" -from my buddy that used to work at LR of Gville for 4ish yrs. But, those who got 'em, love 'em. If it's what he wants.....

The father wants something to wheel with his son before he goes off to college in a year or so. The father has a newer Range Rover. I'm gonna take them wheelin' in a few weeks and we will see how the 4 Runner does...

if he has $$$$ go with the Rover

I did a ton of research on suv's when before i got my cruiser

the top pics were

cruiser
rover disc I
late 80's montero
late 80's trooper

went with the cruiser because of

a)reliability
b)ease of used/new parts avalibility
c)i can work on it
d)manual transmission

If i felt that i could just blow money left and right (and had a spare vehicle while the rover was down) i would have gotten a rover

a 4 runner would be much cheaper to maintain

I'm thinking I'll suggest this:

1) Keep the 4 Runner
2) Get a locked 80 series with lower miles
3) Low mileage Hundy
4) Disco 1

What years were the Disco 1?

I think another thing to consider here is just how seriously he wants to wheel it. A 4Runner comes pretty high out of the box, but you've got IFS to deal w/. LR has solid axles F & R. It just breaks and leaks and is expensive when it does. If he's not getting into anything serious and it's still a DD, then solid axle isn't such a big deal. Both vehicles have their faithful followers.

Discovery are nice trucks when they were new but now they are not making them anymore and getting up in mileage they are not very realible. Problems will start poping up at 80k

My .02 - My brother and I both had Discos 96 (manual) and 97 (auto) - great trucks until you break something. No experience on the newer Discos. Then I went Landcrusier! You know...once you go Cruiser, you never go back.

Side note don't want to hijack so please PM me - Anyone got a 07 FJC you want to pass along? I'm looking! Thanks. Dan

Umm does this question even belong here....lol....tell him if he's gonna dish out the dough to buy a LC!

That LR the guy from the FJ Cruiser marketing company took up to Mt Estates with us that time was pretty impressive, it went everywhere the cruisers did with street tires.

The neighbor's current thought is to keep the 4Runner for his son's DD, and buy an old Wrangler for about 4-5k as a trail beater. I got him to hold off on anything until I take him to Gulches. We'll see what he thinks after that.

And if threads on guns, basketball and football are OK in UC then a thread about a 4Runner should be OK!

:cheers:

LOL...the gents in Chelsea wouldn't know what to think of that LR, would they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom