Route from 191 to 287 through Big Sky? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The wife and I were driving past Ennis yesterday and got to wondering if there is a route from 191 to 287 through Big Sky?
I got Google Maps to give me this route:
Head west on Lone Mountain Trail 10.1 mi
Lone Mountain Trail turns slightly right and becomes Mountain Loop Rd .2 mi
At the traffic circle, take the 1st exit onto Jack Creek Rd .4 mi
Continue onto Big Sky Roadway .2 mi
Turn right onto Jack Creek Rd .5 mi
Continue onto Big Sky Roadway 6.6 mi
Big Sky Roadway turns slightly right and becomes Jack Creek (Partial restricted usage road) 10.1mi
Turn left onto Jack Creek Rd 2.6 mi
Turn right to stay on Jack Creek Rd .2 mi
Turn left onto Jeffers Rd 1.5 mi
Turn right to stay on Jeffers Rd .4 mi
Turn left to stay on Jeffers Rd 2.2 mi

What's interesting is that Google Street View is available for much of the portion that is labeled as "partial restricted usage". Is there a gate or signage? Or can you actually go through? Is it an interesting route? Has someone already asked about this and have I failed to use the search function correctly?

Jack Creek is closed to the general public and is gated at both ends. There used to be a process that if you were a Madison Valley resident you could apply and be allowed to travel through to access Big Sky; not sure if that still exists or not.

I found some information about Jack Creek Rd. It can be accessed if you are participating in activities related to Jack Creek Preserve programs and activities, or if you are given access by someone with road access rights, or if you are a contractor using the road to access a job site, or if you are a member of the Madison Valley Ski Club with a season pass to Big Sky Resort and pay the road access fee. Requests can be made (and purchased) at roadpass.org or you can contact service@moonlightbasin.com.

Here's an article I found from 2018:

Here's another article from 2013 with a video of the road:

I had expected it to be more of trail rather than a road.

private rd, don't remember the family that owned the property . rumour for last 20 years was it was going to be opened so employees could be housed in ennis. another road that used to a great sunday afternoon drive to see critters was cherry creek. county conveniently abandoned it shortly before turner bought the flying d.

As a former county employee I can tell you there's a lot of roads that appear to be closed to the public and the land owner uses the old chain with a lock on the front just wrapped around the gate to appear like its locked. County is overwhelmed maintaining what they can so no one really says anything. I got to drive our truck into some pretty nifty places.

rumour for last 20 years was it was going to be opened so employees could be housed in ennis.

Based on what I found, it's a pretty decent road. The VP of Moonlight Basin used it to commute from Ennis for a decade before moving to Big Sky. I also found some board posts in other forums about employees using it to commute from Ennis. It sounds like it gets pretty good use.

As a former county employee I can tell you there's a lot of roads that appear to be closed to the public and the land owner uses the old chain with a lock on the front just wrapped around the gate to appear like its locked. County is overwhelmed maintaining what they can so no one really says anything. I got to drive our truck into some pretty nifty places.

I have mixed feelings about access. On one hand, I wouldn't want people wandering around on my land for privacy and liability reasons. On the other hand, public lands don't benefit the public when those lands can't be accessed. I think that the land swaps that are happening over in the Crazy's can be a real net positive. I'd like to see more of those things happening so that we can have more contiguous public lands with improved access. Then, I'd like to see users groups step up to build trailheads and trails of all types so that we can actually use, enjoy, and appreciate those public lands.

Yeah, land swaps need to be equitable or they shouldn't be done at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom