Rough Ride After OME Lift Kit (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I added an OME 40mm lift kit, medium duty, and was amazed at the improvement of handling and how it smooths out larger bumps, both on and off road. Body roll in corners was also noticably reduced. It does feel rather harsh on roads with a lot of small bumps/pot holes with only one or two people in the car. If there are four or five, the ride smooths right out and is fantastic.

As it is a daily driver, I put a couple bags of cement in the back wrapped in plastic bags, (96 kg, 211 lbs). This made a huge difference in daily ride satisfaction, but is occasionally inconvenient when I need to put larger items in the back.

Has anyone found a better solution for this? If there was a product that easily added weight by adding a 1" cover to cargo floor area, do you think that would be worth buying?

Here are the installed kit details:

Coil Springs (Front) (2884 x 1 pair)
Coil Springs (Rear) (2889 x 1 pair)
Nitrocharger Sport Strut (90010 x 2)
Nitrocharger Sport Shock (Rear) (60080 x 2)

I do have an Ironman Steel Bullbar on the front

Did you do final torque with the suspension at full droop or at ride height?

Never a free lunch. Most SUV's and light trucks come with "soccer mom" springs\leaf's today, they ride great on pavement but suck off road and with heavy loads. Stiffen them up and the opposite is true. Back in the 70's-80's when I had my FJ55 it was great off road but on road would beat you up some. But I was young back then and it didn't bother me so much. I am very impressed the GX Lux suspension so far as a compromise. Very impressed.

In the winter around here it is common to put sand bags in the bed of a pickup truck for traction, I've done it in all my trucks. While I miss having a truck at times I don't miss that. If you put any weight in your vehicle as a routine then you want to secure it in place well. You don't want it flying at you as a missile hazard if you get into an accident or slam on the brakes.

A month ago I carried a half ton of Heper (from Turkey) lead shot for shotgun reloading 75 miles in the back and the GX road fine, with the factory lux suspension.

53605489622_d6c6fa9c7f_b.jpg

Lead is dense, heavy and relatively cheap. The cheapest lead shot in the States comes from Peru, Eagle shot. It is made by Industrial Surquillo S.A.C. Inca 1001, Surquillo 15047, Peru. Don't know how far away you are from Lima but if not far would be worth checking them out. Has to be a lot cheaper there than shipping it all the way up here. Being an Industrial manufacture they most likely make lead plates for the medical industrial also which would meet your thinking of 1" height. Wouldn't take much to hit ~200 pounds with lead plates. Or repackaging lead shot either.

Good luck and whatever you use secure it well!

I have an OME low lift on a GX470. I've found that slightly lower tire pressure makes a big difference in ride when empty.

I added an OME 40mm lift kit, medium duty, and was amazed at the improvement of handling and how it smooths out larger bumps, both on and off road. Body roll in corners was also noticably reduced. It does feel rather harsh on roads with a lot of small bumps/pot holes with only one or two people in the car. If there are four or five, the ride smooths right out and is fantastic.

As it is a daily driver, I put a couple bags of cement in the back wrapped in plastic bags, (96 kg, 211 lbs). This made a huge difference in daily ride satisfaction, but is occasionally inconvenient when I need to put larger items in the back.

Has anyone found a better solution for this? If there was a product that easily added weight by adding a 1" cover to cargo floor area, do you think that would be worth buying?

Here are the installed kit details:

Coil Springs (Front) (2884 x 1 pair)
Coil Springs (Rear) (2889 x 1 pair)
Nitrocharger Sport Strut (90010 x 2)
Nitrocharger Sport Shock (Rear) (60080 x 2)

I do have an Ironman Steel Bullbar on the front
Thanks for proving what I say all the time that a good aftermarket suspension can be as good or better than stock!
Do you have larger tires with higher side walls? That'll help smooth out the ride even further!

Thanks for proving what I say all the time that a good aftermarket suspension can be as good or better than stock!
Do you have larger tires with higher side walls? That'll help smooth out the ride even further!
I was trully stunned at the difference. Next new car I buy I will install a high quality suspension kit asap. It is not just the comfort. I cannot help but believe the smoother ride prevents many component failures over the years.

I was trully stunned at the difference. Next new car I buy I will install a high quality suspension kit asap. It is not just the comfort. I cannot help but believe the smoother ride prevents many component failures over the years.
The only issue I've had is having to rebuild my front Icon shocks about every few years or 15,000 miles at about $750.00 for both.
But I spend a lot of time off road too. If it was only on-road, they'd last much longer.

The only issue I've had is having to rebuild my front Icon shocks about every few years or 15,000 miles at about $750.00 for both.
But I spend a lot of time off road too. If it was only on-road, they'd last much longer.
I have put 120,000 KM on my Old Man Emu Nitrochargers with out any problems at all. It is 90% paved road. We do have a very rough 3 km entry to our property that gets driven a couple time most days.

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom