ROTW - Fochdog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Introduction & History:

I bought my truck in Arizona during March of 2004 with 89k miles. It is a 40th Edition with factory lockers. The 80-series Land Cruiser is the perfect vehicle for my needs … out of the box off road performance, potential for modifications for more off road performance (see below), excellent durability/reliability & room for a family of four for extended exploring & camping.

Current Modifications:

- ARB Old Man Emu 850 (Heavy Load) front and 860 (Medium Load) rear springs with Bilstein Monotube Shocks B46-1477 (front) & B46-1478 (rear)

So far I really like this OME/Billy combo. Better road manners then the OE set up. I just finished a camping trip in the UP of Michigan with some extended dirt road driving. No problem with the wash board roads … truck stuck like on rails & I didn’t bottom the suspension out at all. The OE suspension had problems with both.

- BFG All-terrain KO (LT285/75R16) on OEM Aluminum Wheels (daily driver tires)
- Super Swamper LTB (33x13.50-16) on 16x8 Rock Crawler model 51 steel wheels (wheelin’ tires)

For a true off road tire I can’t say enough out these Super Swampers & this is a great size for an 80 with a 50mm OME lift.

- Slee Off Road Slider-Steps

The first check I did was to use my High-lift to jack the truck up and change the front tires … no problem. They also did their job at CMCC this year and my 4 year old son loves climbing into the Cruiser with them.

- CDL switch with Cruiser Dan “Pin 7” mod

I love a tighter turning radius on the trail in low open than a locked FJ-40. Also disabling ABS (in four high lock) while running on gravel road is much more controllable & safe.

- Routed rear diff breather into fuel filler area
- Garmin GPS V

Older GPS but I love its flexibility. I do a lot of Geocaching & it is great to change from car nav mode to hiking nav mode in seconds.

- Delphi XM SKYFi2

Any satellite radio is a great feature for long and/or remote travels.

- Radio Shack Mini Mobile CB (Cat # 21-1703) in ashtray slot
- Yakima cross bars with Loadwarrior (& extension) & Bungee cargo net

Nice set up, but I wish I went for the Megawarrior & extension. When packing for a trip you always are looking for more room.

Also, I went with the 66” cross bars … the recommended is 58” for the 80 according to Yakima. I wanted the extra bar width to add bike carriers or other items.

Future Modification Plans (ever changing)

Near term, over the next 1 – 3 years (family expedition vehicle):

- ARB Bull Bar
- 12000 lb. Warn winch
- Kaymar external tire carrier on OEM bumper
- Dual battery setup (Brand TBD)
- ARB Fridge/Freezer (Size TBD)
- Draw / Storage system
- Safari Snorkel
- Slee AC Dryer Skid Plate
- Slee T-case shield

Long term, over the next 3 – 10 years (full on recreational off road vehicle):

- Slee Off Road 6" Lift Kit with 14” Bilstein shocks
- Rear bumper w/ spare tire mount (Brand TBD)
- BFG All-terrain KO (37x12.50R17) (daily driver tires)
- Super Swamper Bogger, 37x13.00-16 with Staun Internal BeadLock System (wheelin’ tires)
- Chevy Small Block 383 cubic inch “Stroker” motor with TBD transmission
- 4.88 ring and pinions
- Longfield chromoly birfs and chromoly inner axles
- Mark's Adapters Crawler Box

Pic of my rig in it's current state.
1997 FZJ80.jpg

View of GPS, XM radio and CB set up.
DSC03025.jpg

Pic of Super Swamper LTB tread versus BFG All-Terrain KO.
Tire comp.jpg

Pic of Yakima Loadwarrior without extension on truck.
Roof Rack 2.jpg

wow Fochdog, really nice rig! I like the black rock crawler rims, where did you buy? that is really good that you have best of both worlds, a/t's and swampers! More pics!!! :)

cc93cruiser said:
I like the black rock crawler rims, where did you buy?
Got wheels and tires at 4 Wheel Parts and Off road. Not my first choice but my local tire places would not touch any Super Swamper tires.

Very nice rig, tell me more about the Yakima load bars. Did you replace your factory roof rack and add this setup. Been looking into something like this.

hey fochdog, cool ride.... can i see a picture of the cb in the ashtray area?

Hey focher, great truck in good shape. Great time wheelin with ya @ CMCC. Also not shown is the sweet camping/grill/kitchen you had set up. My Hanna's took a good whoopin w/a few nice gouges and held up well while following you. Keep up the good work on that rig. PM me with your email that will handle a big pic if you want one.

Yea let's see the Kitchen set-up please.

GM

Biff,

I was lucky enough (in my opinion) to get my truck without factory roof racks. This is good news for me since living in Michigan with a former Arizona truck I am fighting rust and corrosion all the time. From other posts it seems the factory roof rack mounts are a known area for rust to start. Plus, I leave my Yakima rack off most of the time unless I need it and I like the clean look of the truck with no rack.

I have the Yakima 1A Raingutter towers (Yakima #00101) which clamp directly to the rain gutters on the truck. This is a very strong attachment.

If you have the factory roof rack you can go with the Yakima Lowrider (Yakima #00118). I have a set for my wife's car and they work well also.

lt403,

My second pic shows the CB in the lower right of the shot. I will try to get a better picture. The cool thing about the Radio Shack CB is that it seems shorter then the popular Cobra mini units. I did not have to adjust the antenna connector on the back of the unit to fit it flush with the front of the dash. Christo Slee details this on his web site, but is unnecessary with the Radio Shack model.

I almost went with the Cobra all-in-handset model, but the Radio Shack Mini was almost $100 cheaper when on sale. :D

pound3151,

I will PM you.

Fochdog said:
Biff,

My second pic shows the CB in the lower right of the shot. I will try to get a better picture. The cool thing about the Radio Shack CB is that it seems shorter then the popular Cobra mini units. I did not have to adjust the antenna connector on the back of the unit to fit it flush with the front of the dash. Christo Slee details this on his web site, but is unnecessary with the Radio Shack model.

I almost went with the Cobra all-in-handset model, but the Radio Shack Mini was almost $100 cheaper when on sale. :D

just dont loose the hand mic for the radio shack one. I had mine stolen and cant find a new one for the life of me. any one have any ideas? its not the normal cb mic and radio shack doesnt sell just the mic.

mike

nice rig. are the ATs slightly higher than the swampers? I have a photo somewhere of my ats completely packed with mud and grass after driving through a wet cow pasture. instantly teaches you the value of mud tires.

semlin said:
are the ATs slightly higher than the swampers?
Both the BFG and Interco web sites put their tires at 32.8" OD. From my measurements this looks to be true.

I had enough experience in Michigan goop that I wanted more then an AT tire. I found mostly good reviews about the LTB and it is cheap compared to other Mudders ... less than $130 each.

Grouseman said:
Yea let's see the Kitchen set-up please.

GM

Working on it!

A cool shot of my rig during a tire swap. You're not gonna' do that with running boards!
Slider Lift.jpg

Last edited:
Foch,

I didn't even realize that was you at CMCC. Failed to stop by and introduce myself my bad. :doh: Oh well maybe next year. :D Nice rig and two sets of tires and rims, :eek: definately the way to go. :cheers:

Nice rig. It was in my driveway last week- Gave me a bad case of cruiser-envy. Can't wait to see it perform in Canada!!!

Nice rig, I like the swampers and you definitely can't do that with running boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom