ROTW - Fochdog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"- ARB Old Man Emu 850 (Heavy Load) front and 860 (Medium Load) rear springs with Bilstein Monotube Shocks B46-1477 (front) & B46-1478 (rear)

So far I really like this OME/Billy combo. Better road manners then the OE set up. I just finished a camping trip in the UP of Michigan with some extended dirt road driving. No problem with the wash board roads … truck stuck like on rails & I didn’t bottom the suspension out at all. The OE suspension had problems with both."

Fochdog - nice writeup. Would say the OME/Billy set up is reasonable for an everyday driver? Top notch!

BOUNDER said:
Would say the OME/Billy set up is reasonable for an everyday driver?
It depends on what you are looking for in ride quality. The Billys are firmer then OE (I like that) but not too firm. I have no direct experience with OME shocks so I can not compare. But, yes they are very comfortable for everyday driving.

An advantage of the Bilstein monotube shocks it their digressive valving. Most shocks will increase damping force with shock velocity in a near linear manner. Bilstein, through some neat (but very simple) engineering, allow the damping forces to fall off slightly through the shocks mid-speed range, only to increase again in the high-speed range.

This leads to a shock that will give good vehicle control while turning and over large low speed swells and bumps, also a soft ride over chatters and sharp small impacts and then control again over large high speed hits and bumps.

timbercruiser said:
Nice rig. It was in my driveway last week- Gave me a bad case of cruiser-envy. Can't wait to see it perform in Canada!!!

I parked right next to your 80 ... you have no excuses.

reffug said:
Foch,

I didn't even realize that was you at CMCC. Failed to stop by and introduce myself my bad. :doh: Oh well maybe next year. :D Nice rig and two sets of tires and rims, :eek: definitely the way to go. :cheers:
Reffug,

We did meet and talk a bit. I did not introduce myself ... My bad.

I asked you about your African Outback Drawer System on Saturday night and you said something like (to paraphrase):

" Man! a thousand people have asked me about these things and I'm not gonna' tell the thousand and first person anything."

and then we argued a few minutes about your turbo'ed 80 drag racing an 80 with a 383 "Stroker" CSB. I am still confused how we got into that discussion.

That was me if you remember :D :beer: Next year then...

Before and after shot with my lift. I got a 3" lift front and rear before I put on my slider-steps.
Slide1.jpg

Are my half colorblind eyes playing tricks on me or is the lower portion of you doors, your bumpers, and fender flares painted differently (pale blue)?

Fochdog said:
Reffug,

and then we argued a few minutes about your turbo'ed 80 drag racing an 80 with a 383 "Stroker" CSB. I am still confused how we got into that discussion.

That was me if you remember :D :beer: Next year then...

Oh yaa. J/K about the drawer system dude. :D

Definately remember the 383 stroker debate however. I remember how we got

into that discussion too. Its called :beer: :beer: :beer: .

mooker82 said:
Are my half colorblind eyes playing tricks on me or is the lower portion of you doors, your bumpers, and fender flares painted differently (pale blue)?
Good catch! This is one mod I forgot to list ... custom paint! It's kinda like it ... different.

My truck started life with the typical 40th color, 1B2 Antique Sage Pearl. That's on the door plate at least. Some where along it's history the lower half roughly has been repainted to a light pale green. The green parts include:

-bumpers front and rear
-wheel flairs
-mirrors
-body from the molding down

I think this is the 40th Edition other color, Emerald. I am not sure since I have never seen a truck in person.

I have several theories of how/why it was painted. But, I don't care much so I have never really looked into it.

LR_RESQ said:
No, this is the other 40th color:

Is that the 40th Edition Emerald color? It is darker than I thought it would be.

Fochdog said:
It depends on what you are looking for in ride quality. The Billys are firmer then OE (I like that) but not too firm. I have no direct experience with OME shocks so I can not compare. But, yes they are very comfortable for everyday driving.

An advantage of the Bilstein monotube shocks it their digressive valving. Most shocks will increase damping force with shock velocity in a near linear manner. Bilstein, through some neat (but very simple) engineering, allow the damping forces to fall off slightly through the shocks mid-speed range, only to increase again in the high-speed range.

This leads to a shock that will give good vehicle control while turning and over large low speed swells and bumps, also a soft ride over chatters and sharp small impacts and then control again over large high speed hits and bumps.

Those shocks are also found on Polaris snowmobiles. They allow the suspension free movement over the small stutter bumps, but soften the big blows in the whoop-de-do sections.

Hey Fochdog! Hows it going? It was great meeting and wheeling with you at CMCC05. I had the Maroon 80.

Hey Dude,

As soon as I saw your sig line I knew who it was.

Always good wheelin' with another '80. Maybe next time I'll hang with you on some of the black trails.

<Maybe next time I'll hang with you on some of the black trails.>

That sounds good dude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom