Rotor Torque (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know what the rotors should be re-torqued to after having them turned?

I am doing the front brakes today and the rotors need to come off and be turned.

Also, when I use the search I end up getting posts with no subject. I have to start reading the post as to see if it pertains to what I am searching for?

Thanks,

Breck

On a 97 it's 51 ft lbs. IIRC.

Bill

[quote author=Breck link=board=2;threadid=13380;start=msg123804#msg123804 date=1079703174]
I am doing the front brakes today and the rotors need to come off and be turned.
[/quote]

Make sure you write the torque down 'cause you'll probably be doing them again soon. Land Cruiser (80 series at least) rotors don't like to be turned. Yes, they will work, but will most likely warp within a few hundred miles.

If you are looking for new rotors OEM are arguably the best, or at least the cheapest of the "best" rotors (from C-Dan, anyway).

Breck,

Turn the rotors only when it's absolutely neccessary as this would reduce their life considerable. As long as they're still within spec after being turned, you're OK.

Thanks guys,

I didn't turn the rotors and NAPA had the pads for the front for less then $20 and the backs were $21 and some change. The rotors have a lot of "meat" still on them but they do show a little bit of scoring. The guy at NAPA said that rotors are $35 a piece; I thought that was pretty cheap?

V/R

Breck

Breck,
good choice in not turning those front rotors. :-\ I turned mine and they lasted about 6,000 miles. I mean you can turn them, just plan on taking them off again in 3 to 6 months. Cdan to the rescue, got my new OEM's in the mail. Just waiting for a warm weekend and my hub socket from Slee. :D

NAPA sells 2 different rotors. If you ask for OEM you get Beck-Arnley which is a repackager of what is usually excellent quality stuff. If you ask for "Truestop" you get their cheaper brand but is is much cheaper like $25. I'll do the testing for you since I used a set of the cheap NAPA ones on the front of my FJ40. Oddly enough, the cheap ones said "Made in USA", I expected them to be sourced in some foreign land where english is not spoken and 9 year olds make car parts. On my 80 series I used DBA's and have been very happy with them. You can't go wrong with OEM though, and since my 60 is soon due for a front end service, I'll be buying a set from CDan. One other thing-Don't turn the rotors, buy new if warped, otherwise fit the new pads and be happy.

[quote author=Breck link=board=2;threadid=13380;start=msg124138#msg124138 date=1079749214]NAPA had the [/quote]
Perhaps they're getting better, but I rarely have luck with aftermarket pads for any of my cars. My wife's 80 came with new aftermarket pads, I've replaced shims and springs and added anti-squeel to make them bearable. They still squeel some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom