Rotating 5th wheel idea...overkill? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the one time my wife gets behind the wheel, there's a flat on the front pass side. Totally flat, I would guess. She doesn't notice it, or the handling issues, and drives it 3/4 mile over gravel/rocks to where I'm located. Tire, wheel, all trashed. Of course, I have about 25k on the existing set of tires, so *what could have been* a $20 flat repair is now around $1,000, because the existing tires are worn past matching to a new one and may cause issues (according to several tire cos.). Assuming they're correct, would it make sense to buy a 5th tire (and buy an OEM wheel, because the OEM spare rim is battered beyond use), and rotate that spare into the mix? That way, if this happens again, I'll never have more than 5-6k wear difference between any of the tires?

I always do a 5 tire rotation. It just makes too much sense not too.

Plus it’s easier to do a 5 tire at home in the driveway vs a 4 tire:cool:

Thanks guys. That's another $208 for a 5th BFG KO, plus $200+ for an 05 wheel, but makes sense.

this was one of the decisions I had when buying tires last year. I ended up getting 5 new tires and have discount tire rotate all 5 every 5k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom