Roofnest Falcon XL - RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I purchased a Roofnest falcon XL for my GX and it's been sitting in my driveway until I can get 3 able bodied friends to help hoist it onto the roof.

I'm second guessing going with the XL, which is 60 inches wide. The standard being 50 inches wide. The standard would have fit almost perfectly flush with my Prinsu Roof Rack. The XL is going to overhang about 5" per side. Besides looking a bit awkward, I realize now that I have severely limited what I can mount on the side rails of the prinsu rack going with the wider RTT. I think an awning would still be an option if it's not too tall and might tucker under quite nicely on one side.

Anyway, does anyone have the XL Roofnest Falcon on top of their GX? If so, I am very curious to see some photos and ideas of what you have mounted, if anything, on the side rails of your roof rack. I basically would like some reassurance that I didn't pick the wrong size.

Last edited:
82C0A64F-2A34-44F4-8F62-A95E5F479315.jpeg
I think it looks pretty goofy on this guys 460.
This XL Mt Hood is the same size.
It’s like a top hat for your Lexus.

I'm running a standard size Falcon on a Prinsu rack and love the fit.

That said, my hi-lift and awning are both mounted to the side of my roof rack. The hi-lift sticks up higher than the tent, but the awning sits below the tent.

The XL will definitely be wide, but you should be able to get an awning below it.

View attachment 2736733I think it looks pretty goofy on this guys 460.
This XL Mt Hood is the same size.
It’s like a top hat for your Lexus.
Offtopic, I like that bumper cut and horizontal bar. Any idea what the details are for that bar?

That said, my hi-lift and awning are both mounted to the side of my roof rack. The hi-lift sticks up higher than the tent, but the awning sits below the tent.

The XL will definitely be wide, but you should be able to get an awning below it.

Do you ever feel like you want extra width when sleeping in it with your partner?

Yeah I think an awning will fit just fine and fill up the space.

Also, what awning do you have? I'm looking at ARB and Iron Man 4x4. I'm curious if you just mounted it directly to the side slots on the prinsu rack or if you needed a bracket of some kind.

^^^
I sleep in there with my gal, or with my 5 year old son. I've never slept up there with three and I expect it would be too tight. With my gal or my son, I feel comfortable and I've never felt like more room would have yielded a better night's sleep.

My awning is the rhino rack 2.0. it's very durable and I love the olive/coyote tanish colored material.

Though a a 270* covering the back hatch would be nice.

^^^
I sleep in there with my gal, or with my 5 year old son. I've never slept up there with three and I expect it would be too tight. With my gal or my son, I feel comfortable and I've never felt like more room would have yielded a better night's sleep.

My awning is the rhino rack 2.0. it's very durable and I love the olive/coyote tanish colored material.

Though a a 270* covering the back hatch would be nice.

How did you mount the awning to the Prinsu rack? I'm curious what brackets you used.

Also curious what mounting feet (if any) you used for the RTT.

Sorry for bugging you with all these question. You've been a big help.

How did you mount the awning to the Prinsu rack? I'm curious what brackets you used.

Also curious what mounting feet (if any) you used for the RTT.

Sorry for bugging you with all these question. You've been a big help.
I didn't use any brackets. There is T-slot hardware provided with the awning. I ran the T-slot bolts into the channel in the awning, then ran the threaded shank of the bolt through the side piece of the roof rack. Put a standard washer, then a split ring washer and a nylock nut on. I did have to enlarge the hole in the channel on the side of the roof rack, but a step bit made that a 30 second job.
No brackets needed and mounted as slim and low-profile as possible.
And I didn't use any mounting feet to mount my tent to the cross bars. I used the provided hardware and bolted my tent directly to the crossbars of the roof rack (with the 1/4" polycarbonate spacers I mentioned before).

I didn't use any brackets. There is T-slot hardware provided with the awning. I ran the T-slot bolts into the channel in the awning, then ran the threaded shank of the bolt through the side piece of the roof rack. Put a standard washer, then a split ring washer and a nylock nut on. I did have to enlarge the hole in the channel on the side of the roof rack, but a step bit made that a 30 second job.
No brackets needed and mounted as slim and low-profile as possible.
And I didn't use any mounting feet to mount my tent to the cross bars. I used the provided hardware and bolted my tent directly to the crossbars of the roof rack (with the 1/4" polycarbonate spacers I mentioned before).

Got it thanks. Were the polycarbonate spacers included with the tent or did you buy them separately?

Here's a pic on my Tacoma and 4Runner. On the Tacoma its the CVT 60" and on the 4R its the 56".

I HATED the way it stuck out on both, and the lack of room on the inside compared to my Mt. Rainer, so I went back to a Smittybuilt XL.

IMG_3743.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg

Been a while since i posted an update. Here are some pics of the Roofnest Falcon XL on the my GX.

I started out using the mounting hardware the test came with. Basically some U mounts that wrap around your crossbars. While this resulted in a nice low profile look since the tent rails were resting on the crossbars I had some pretty awful creaking and rattling when driving over any bumps. And I had a horrible wind induced whistle above 40mph.

Last weekend I removed those mounts and used some 1" mounting feet from Prinsu. The tent now sits 1" higher, but the creaking and rattling has been solved. It's also feels a lore more robust to have the tent mounted on feet that are secured at 4 points per foot to the crossbars via bolts/nuts. However, wind noise and sometimes a whistle is still an issue.

Things I have tried to solve wind noise issues:
- Remove front fairing from the prinsu rack. Whistle pretty much disappeared but overall wind noise went up.
- Moved the the tent forward and backward - no change.

I have moved the fairing position a bit, but I have yet drive it to see how it sounds. Will be doing an hour drive this weekend to get a better feel for it.

I wonder if anyone knows of a fairing that could be mounted to the front rails of the Roofnest RTT to direct all wind completely over the tent?

20210821_144453.jpg

20210829_090400.jpg

20210902_101356.jpg
20210902_101406.jpg

I saw when you first purchased the Falcon XL you questioned that due to the size. Assume that was due to the width? How are you feeling about that after installing and using?
I'm really wanting a 60" wide rooftop for a Subaru Outback Wilderness. It would extend past the rack about 5"on each side which appears close to your setup.
Any input is appreciated?!
Mike

I saw when you first purchased the Falcon XL you questioned that due to the size. Assume that was due to the width? How are you feeling about that after installing and using?
I'm really wanting a 60" wide rooftop for a Subaru Outback Wilderness. It would extend past the rack about 5"on each side which appears close to your setup.
Any input is appreciated?!
Mike
Buy for function, not aesthetics. Get what works for you.

From my tent experience…If you aren’t sleeping more than two normal sized humans, 60” is overkill.

Didn’t see it on their site. Wonder if they make them anymore.
@MrTorgue did you find more details on that rear bumper bar? Looks interesting. What's the benefit of such rear bumper bar? Looks very simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom